Website Mark Day School
Campus Safety and Operations Manager
Full Time/Starting Immediately
Leads Mark Day School’s campus safety and security efforts. Serves as a primary liaison with all visitors to the Mark Day campus and provides the first touchpoint for visitors to the school. Oversees campus emergency response plan and monthly emergency drills. Manages a number of facility operations functions and assists with day-to-day tasks.
Mark Day School is seeking a Campus Safety and Operations Manager to lead all campus safety and security efforts. The Manager will monitor and review campus security systems and is expected to be a visible and have an active presence on campus greeting and directing visitors to the front office. The role requires a proactive mindset, an ability to effectively interact with a wide variety of people, and an ability to quickly evaluate situations and make decisions around protecting the campus via prevention, de-escalation, and deterrent methods when needed. The person in this role will also oversee the campus emergency response plan and run monthly emergency drills. This role reports to the Director of Facilities, Safety, and Operations.
Safety and Security – 60% –
- Oversees Campus Security, in close collaboration with the Director of Facilities, Safety, and Operations.
- Leads and updates Mark Day School’s Campus Emergency Response Plan and ongoing emergency drills.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining emergency supplies.
- Ensures that visitors are greeted and directs visitors to the front office to check-in during the school day.
- Monitors, reviews, and regularly walks the perimeter of the campus during school hours, and at the end of the school day to ensure a safe campus.
- Maintains campus access control systems.
- Monitors and reviews campus security systems as needed.
- Protection of the campus, via preventative, de-escalation, and deterrent methods and notification of proper authorities (as applicable).
- Responds professionally and efficiently to requests related to safety and security by school employees and administrators, parents, and other visitors to Mark Day School during work hours.
- Properly notifies the Director of Facilities, Safety, and Operations, Chief Financial Officer, Administrators, Head of School, and local authorities (as appropriate) of any suspicious activity.
- Coordinates on-site security at school functions as requested by Mark Day School administration.
- Close collaboration with the Director of Facilities, Safety, and Operations and Chief Financial Officer for all campus-related needs.
- Works in tandem with the front office team in greeting and checking visitors into and out of the campus.
- Manages the relationship and coordination with our evening and special events contracted security patrol.
- Liaison to local authorities for campus safety.
- Management and Monitoring
- Actively monitor the school calendar weekly and daily to ensure appropriate security and surveillance oversight according to the needs of the school.
- Maintain a security log of all activities and incidents occurring during the school day.
- Respond to and report incidents involving the security and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Operate and monitor all appropriate control panels, alarms, and all related security equipment, and respond to all alarms.
- Monitor entry to school (including gates and established routes), including safety during carpool of pedestrian crosswalks and car traffic.
- Communicate proactively and respond to communication promptly.
- Make regular walks around campus throughout the day.
- Monitor and resolve actions by visitors that could cause injury or loss to the school or employees.
Facilities, Operations, and Events – 40% –
- Maintains weekly setups list and provides it to the Director of Maintenance.
- Assists in the setup and breakdown of school events, meetings, activities, and special programs as needed.
- Assists in the changing of various HEPA and HVAC filters throughout the year via established schedule and monitors the need for more frequent changes. Orders replacement filters as needed.
- Oversees Mark Day Schools Safe Routes to school program. Distributes Safe Routes Surveys and attends monthly calls during the school year.
- Manages Mark Day School Lockers, changes combinations annually, and assists with locker requests.
- Assists the Director of Facilities, Safety, and Operations as well as the Director of Maintenance with various tasks as requested.
- Occasionally meets with contractors to provide facility access.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Experience in a K-8 and/or elementary school or higher education environment.
- Willingness to complete the school security guard training, as required by Business and Professions Code (BPC) section 7583.45 (per BSIS, the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services of the Department of Consumer Affairs).
- Unarmed presence at all times.
- The ability to work independently and to take initiative.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with proactive engagement.
- Working knowledge of appropriate security enforcement methods, techniques, and procedures; including de-escalation practices.
- General understanding of campus facilities.
- Working knowledge of Mark Day School organizational policies and procedures including appropriate human resources compliance.
- An ability to recognize problems and choose the appropriate solution from among several.
- The ability to use and learn technology, including but not limited to Google Suite.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read simple instructions and operate independently during shifts.
- Must provide identity for employment in the United States.
- Must provide a minimum of four professional references.
- Must complete all school compliance training and requirements.
- Must pass a background check.
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience.
- Prior work experience in security, facilities, or operations.
- Ability to provide direction and supervision to others.
Physical Work Environment:
- Normal Work Hours are Monday – Friday 10:00 am – 6 pm; hours and shifts may vary with the needs of the school.
- Workday regularly includes multiple or conflicting demands, deadlines, and time pressures.
- Work regularly requires sustained concentration.
- Work requires considerable physical effort or manual dexterity.
- Sufficient vision (with correction) to read and to observe more distant objects.
- Ability to do considerable walking in order to make rounds of the campus.
- Sufficient stamina to work outside in bad weather conditions when required.
- Ability to lift, push and pull, and manually transport 20lbs – 25lbs.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs, including ladders.
Salary Range: $20 per hour – $40 per hour
READY TO APPLY? Interested candidates should visit our
website and send a letter of interest and resume via email to
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org