Website Marin Primary and Middle School
Assistant Camp Counselor
An Assistant Camp Counselor in Marin Primary & Middle School’s summer program is first and foremost committed to serving our mission of treasuring childhood. An Assistant Summer Camp Counselor is a passionate and creative member of a team of either two co-lead counselors, or a lead counselor and an assistant counselor.
The summer camp will begin June 26th and end August 4th. There will be 2.5 – 3 training days the week before camp starts. We serve campers ages 2 – 8 years old.
Positions are open for either part-time or full-time. Camp hours are 8:00 am – 5:30 pm.
Within a developmentally-informed and play-based program, camp counselors are encouraged and supported to create meaningful experiences for young campers. We seek program staff who are innovative, flexible and ready to engage in the creative energy and learning process of children. At MP&MS we celebrate creativity, exploration, and positive development of the whole child.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Provide for the safety and well-being of all campers at all times by maintaining a safe and secure environment in which campers can grow in autonomy as they play and learn together.
- Create an inviting, organized, and developmentally appropriate environment for the age level.
- Facilitate and create organized daily activities.
- Lead various small and large group activities.
- Assist as needed with preparation, clean up and cleaning protocols.
- Help to monitor the daily health screening of students.
- Build relationships with the campers in which each child feels understood, nurtured, and challenged, and within which each child’s emerging identity is respected.
- Maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Create a partnership with parents sharing information about the program and their child’s day in camp.
- Defend the dignity and worth of each member of the community and create a safe environment that fosters respect, understanding, and acceptance of differences; always model appropriate and ethical behavior.
- Participate actively in staff meetings and work collaboratively with counselors and program directors.
- Demonstrate punctuality and reliability of attendance, absence reporting, and other such demonstrations of professional courtesy and responsibility.
Qualifications and Skills
- Previous experience teaching/working in an early childhood/camp, youth programs or recreation preferred
- Strong skills in collaboration and effective communication
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including patience, discretion and good judgment
- ECE units to meet State of California requirements for preschool teachers preferred
- Enjoys working with and being in the company of children
In the course of a workday in the Marin Primary & Middle School summer camp, an Assistant Camp Counselor should expect to:
- Sit, walk, stand
- Lift and carry up to 35 pounds routinely, and up to 50 pounds in an emergency
- Bend from the neck and waist
- Squat, climb, kneel, crawl
- Twist from the neck and waist
- Withstand exposure to noise, which may be excessive on occasion
- Most tasks require visual perception and discrimination.
- Some tasks require oral communications ability.
- Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds.
The frequency with which any counselor may need to use any of the skills and physical requirements listed above vary on a daily basis. However, any of them may be necessary at any time on an emergency basis, and there are some situations in which one or more of them may be necessary for an extended period of time.
It is desirable that a camp counselor can drive cars and other vehicles.
MP&MS is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals have an equal opportunity for employment based on qualifications and merit, regardless of religion, race, sex, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military service status, or any other factor prohibited by state or federal law. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, and other conditions of employment. MP&MS also makes reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities and for employees who request an accommodation for pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.