Website Marin Primary and Middle School
The middle school physical education teacher at Marin Primary & Middle School works as a member of three teams of teachers spanning sixth through eighth grades. Our teachers build meaningful bonds with students, maintain high performance standards, teach children to engage in respectful and kind behavior, and nurture a love of learning.
Physical Education is a core subject at MP&MS. The PE teacher focuses on developing fitness as part of a healthy lifestyle through units across multiple sports designed to teach athletic skills, flexibility, coordination, teamwork, resilience, and fair play.
This will be a full-time, exempt position that will begin August 15, 2022.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Teach six sections of PE classes for sixth through eighth grades
● Deliver and communicate a developmentally appropriate curriculum that develops student fitness and athletic skills through drills, games, and individual and team sports, including in classroom spaces on rainy days
● Use developmentally appropriate strategies to encourage fairness, conflict resolution, and application of one’s personal best effort
● Assess students on participation, effort, and athletic skill development by providing conference notes, written report cards, and ongoing communication with colleagues
● Coach fall (cross country or flag football) and winter (basketball) after-school sports, including communication with staff and families
● Collaborate actively with PE department colleagues
● Develop and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, and staff
● Participate in faculty meetings and support the ongoing work of the school
● Pursue professional growth opportunities on an ongoing basis
● Defend the dignity and worth of each member of the community and create an environment that fosters respect, understanding, and acceptance of differences; always model appropriate and ethical behavior
Additional Responsibilities Include:
● Back to School Night; other parent events
● Weekly faculty meetings
● Recess supervision
● Committee work
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
● Bachelor’s degree and teaching credential or advanced degree
● Minimum of 3 years of prior experience teaching PE preferred
● Ability to create an inclusive class community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
● Knowledge of curriculum development, social-emotional learning, and differentiated instruction
● Broad knowledge and an appreciation of child development
● Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a teaching team
● Strong organizational and time management skills
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or programmatic perspective
Marin Primary & Middle School is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
● Work is normally performed in primarily outdoors or a typical interior/classroom work environment, with typical noise and other disruptions
● Both sitting and standing are required during a regular work day
● Normal vision and hearing abilities are required to interact with students, parents, faculty, and staff, and with school equipment
● Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
● Ability to work at desk and computer screen for extended periods of time
● Ability to turn, bend, and reach
● Ability to move oneself around the campus
● Ability to drive to other locations for meetings, conferences, etc.
● Position requires adaptability, analyzing, assessing, calculating, decision making, dependability, good judgment, reading, memorizing, social skills, speaking, multitasking, and writing
MP&MS is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals have an equal opportunity for employment based on qualifications and merit, regardless of religion, race, sex, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military service status, or any other factor prohibited by state or federal law. This policy applies to all areas of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, and other conditions of employment. MP&MS also makes reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities and for employees who request accommodation for pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.