Website Marin Horizon School
7th Grade Language Arts Teacher/5th Grade Creative Writing Teacher
Hours: Part-time beginning August 2024 (Full-time options may be possible)
Since its founding in 1977, Marin Horizon has been providing a challenging and robust academic program combined with character-enhancing life skills. Marin Horizon is a place of creative, active learning built around our commitment to developing each student’s confident voice. Marin Horizon serves about 300 students from toddler through grade eight and is located in Mill Valley, CA.
Marin Horizon seeks a creative and engaging Language Arts teacher who inspires students to love reading and writing. Marin Horizon uses multiple teaching models to develop students’ reading comprehension and analytical skills. Students learn how to write various forms of text, from creative writing to expository essays.
Curriculum, Materials, and Classroom Management
- Establishes an inspiring classroom setting that is organized and engaging, with systems and procedures that manage student behavior, movement, and learning.
- Establishes a powerful classroom culture where children have high expectations for themselves and for others, are self-motivated and self-directed, and where children value and love learning.
- Develops an academic program that allows students to be the leaders of their own learning. Develops and implements individualized learning plans, small and whole group lesson plans, and classroom activities consistent with Marin Horizon educational philosophy.
- Teaches using various methodologies, including demonstrations, discussions, hands-on and project-based experiences, and occasional short lectures.
- Collaborates with Marin Horizon team members on curriculum and teaching practices, including working as a team with the Social Studies department on an annual Humanities project every spring.
- Teaches 5th Grade Creative Writing class during the 5th Grade Arts Block
Parent Education, Meetings, and Conferences
- Provides students and their families with regular and timely information on classroom activities and student progress; finds ways to involve parents/guardians in their students’ education.
- Assist in the development of, and participates in, school functions, including but not limited to open houses, orientation meetings, parent education, and school-wide activities.
- Prepare documents and reports necessary to facilitate parent-teacher conferences or other meetings requested by parents or school administration.
Record-Keeping and Data Assessment
- Assesses students regularly (informally and formally), examine assessment data, and refine learning plans to differentiate instruction for each student.
- Maintain grade books and meet reporting deadlines.
- Prepare student progress reports and assessment reports in a timely manner.
Coordinate with tutors as needed.
- Serve as an advisor and chaperone on at least one outdoor education trip.
- Actively participate in professional development.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including being an advisor for one grade.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- Anticipated salary range between $45,000 to $66,000 for part-time and $76,000 to $110,000 for full time, depending on education and experience
- Excellent benefits package
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required; Master’s Degree preferred
- 3+ years teaching experience preferred
- Experience with middle school language art curriculum design
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Must possess a growth mindset and can use feedback to refine practice
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Ben Fussiner, Director of Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com