Website Julia Morgan School for Girls
Julia Morgan School for Girls is looking for flexible on-call substitutes able to accept short- and long-term assignments at our school located on the Mills College campus in Oakland. JMSG is a girls’ middle school serving girls from grades 6 – 8. Our school is dedicated to girls’ intellectual, creative, social, and emotional growth during their critical middle school years. Our goal is to provide educational opportunities and positive role models not fully afforded girls in coeducational institutions. We strive to create an arena for academic excellence, critical thinking, positive risk-taking, and the development of individual talents.
● Contributes to student learning, growth, and advancement.
● Demonstrates familiarity with multiple subject area(s)Maintains a positive mindset toward student learning and teaching practice
● Demonstrates a high degree of self-efficacy and holds themselves accountable for learner outcomes.
● Works efficiently within existing learning structures and believes in the capability of their students to excel.
● Possesses problem-solving skills
● Collaborates effectively
● Invests in students’ well-being, health, and safety
Work Hours and Compensation
Work hours will vary, so flexibility is critical. Our school day begins at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m. Most substitutes will be asked to fill in for approximately four
50-minute classes per day. Ideal candidates will have the ability to accept “morning of” assignments, but some of our assignments are planned and can be scheduled in advance. Compensation is $150/day.
Substitute Teacher Skills and Qualifications:
● Knowledge of instructional methods appropriate for middle school students
● Desire and ability to work with middle school students from diverse backgrounds with varying proficiency
● Ability to teach multiple subjects, including math, humanities, science, STEM, etc
● Ability to organize tasks and manage time to meet many and varied deadlines
● Ability to manage small and large groups of students in a classroom environment
● Effective communication skills
● Working familiarity with assistive technologies; internet and email systems; and word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software
● Familiarity with Apple products and their use in instruction to enhance student learning
Education and Experience:
● Bachelor’s required
● Recent teaching experience
● Demonstrated knowledge of current instructional strategies