Website Crystal Springs Uplands School
Crystal is a caring and diverse community.
Want to teach in an exciting, supportive, and collaborative Middle School in a vibrant school community? Crystal Springs Uplands School is full of kind, curious learners (adults and students alike) who are passionate about the school’s mission of transformative teaching and meaningful connections. We are committed to the work required to create more equitable systems and foster inclusive environments so that all members of our community can thrive together. If you love the magic and joy of learning and growing alongside middle schoolers, read on!
We seek a Middle School Teacher of 8th Grade Algebra 1 who will:
· Exhibit a love and energy for learning and working alongside middle school students
· Cultivate an inclusive, challenging, and equitable learning environment that reflects Crystal’s core values and DEI Guiding Principles (see below)
· Exhibit a passion for content knowledge and a range of effective pedagogical approaches
· Incorporate inquiry-based pedagogy to foster discovery and depth of understanding
· Engage students in concrete explorations of concepts using tools such as algebra tiles, etc.
· Have shown a commitment to and competence for creative, culturally responsive pedagogy with instruction that values a hands-on, collaborative curriculum & methodology
· Enthusiastically collaborate with colleagues to develop innovative and meaningful curriculum and programming
· Integrate technology in effective ways that enhance students’ learning experiences and growth
· Take advantage of opportunities for professional growth, leadership, and community building
· Serve as an advisor who is committed to the social and emotional development of students
· Bring unique skills to contribute to our multifaceted community outside of the classroom (e.g. coaching, sponsoring a club, leading a global trip, speaking multiple languages, etc.)
· Fulfill the professional responsibilities expected of faculty in our community
Job benefits include…
· Working in a fun, diverse, and dynamic environment of caring and committed colleagues
· Competitive salary and comprehensive, generous benefits package (including service awards, paid sabbaticals, and free access to a certified financial advisor)
· Ample budget to support professional and personal development (we invest in learning/growth!)
· Significant paid time off to embrace our core value of “strive for balance”
· Breathtaking facilities (including an on-site fitness center and adjacent hiking trail)
· Delicious daily snacks and lunches provided by our on-campus caterers (trust us on this!)
· Dog-friendly campuses (although you can easily avoid our pups if they are not your thing)
Our Core Values are….
We Celebrate Scholarship
The foundation of Crystal is academic excellence, and we believe all forms of diversity — including experience, identity, and perspective — are fundamental to academic excellence.
We Seek Growth Challenges
Our culture says try it, and we challenge assumptions, engage across differences, and expect continual learning and growth.
We Foster Kindness & Inclusion
Crystal is a caring and diverse community and we honor the value each person brings to our community, and we confront injustice, which harms us all.
We Strive for Balance
A holistic approach to well-being is integral
to our mission and we prioritize care and connection so that each of us can authentically thrive.
We Engage with Enthusiasm
With unbounded spirit, we give our best effort every day and pay it forward to our community, and we embrace new challenges with curiosity, patience, and willingness to experience discomfort.
We Lead with Humility
Being grateful and open-minded, we pursue lifelong learning and we listen deeply, reflect genuinely, and own mistakes humbly.
Competencies we seek include…
· Communication: Exceptional ability to articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual, and non-verbal communication skills, as well as deep listening skills to gain understanding.
· Cultural Competence: Possesses and applies the skills, values, and principles that acknowledge, respect, contribute, and work effectively across cultural differences. Recognizes the unique value, perspectives, strengths, and challenges of every person who comes to the Crystal community.
· Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrates high levels of self/social awareness, self-management, empathy, and curiosity.
· Personal Growth: Demonstrates commitment and curiosity to ongoing learning and development.
· Relationship Management: Positively collaborates and builds/maintains authentic and trusting relationships. Demonstrates high levels of discretion and confidentiality.
· Collaboration: the interpersonal and intrapersonal qualities one will leverage to collectively solve a problem or make progress toward a common goal. The ability to work with others to complete a project or task or develop ideas or processes.
· Instructional Delivery: Effectively implements essential practices for effectively instructing students to maximize knowledge and skill acquisition
· Classroom Management: Maximizes administration of rules and procedures, proactive management, effective and stimulating instruction, and reduction of disruptive and inappropriate student conduct to ensure high-quality learning, and emotionally safe, equitable environments.
· Formative Assessment: Supports competency-based education by ensuring understanding of students’ needs and modifies instruction as it is happening to guide and assess student learning.
The ideal candidate will have at least three years of algebra teaching (or related) experience and a B.A./B.S. in a relevant field (Masters Degree preferred).
Education, Certifications, and Work-Related Experience
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
· Knowledge of subjects assigned
· General knowledge of curriculum and instruction practices
· Ability to instruct students and apply effective classroom management
· Strong communications, public relations, and interpersonal skills
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
· Able to work in a dynamic environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
· Able to lift up to 20 pounds
· Able to climb stairs
· May work at a desk and computer for extended periods
Light travel between the Middle School and Upper School campuses, as needed
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
Crystal Springs Uplands School provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Salary and Benefits
This is a .5 FTE, Exempt Position (20 hours/week), career position and the annual salary is commensurate with experience within the range of $70,000 – $150,000 (on a full time basis).
Interested candidates should apply immediately by submitting 1) a cover letter describing your interest in the position as well as your anticipated contribution to the Crystal community given the job description, 2) your resume, and 3) a list of three references to Jess Dang, Head of Middle School, by email: HR@csus.org or by mail: Crystal Springs Uplands School, 400 Uplands Drive, Hillsborough, CA 94010.
Qualifications of top candidates will be presented to the hiring manager during the week of April 10, 2023 (or sooner). The recruitment period will remain open until sufficient resumes have been received and may close at any time a sufficient pool of highly qualified candidates has been established. The start date for this position is August 1, 2023.