Website Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School
Position Announcement Beginning August 2023
Dean of School Culture
Our Mission and Unique Approach
Cristo Rey De La Salle is a diverse Lasallian Catholic college preparatory high school. As part of the Cristo Rey Network, the largest national network of Catholic schools, our mission is to serve first generation students by providing a high quality college preparatory education and supporting our students into and through college with an intentional focus on the social, emotional, and physical well being of our students. All students gain valuable experience participating in the Corporate Work Study program, working one day a week with one of our corporate partners.
Located in the beautiful Fruitvale neighborhood of Oakland, surrounded by a rich Black and Latino history, informed by a centuries-old Lasallian Charism, CRDLS is looking to hire a Dean of School Culture to guide the school culture and students as the school continues to grow.
As an independent private school, students aren’t placed at CRDLS; they choose us!
We offer a near-zero tuition, college preparatory, student-centered instructional program. Faculty and staff are the backbone of the school and the development of relationships are foundational to the success of each student.
Through our personalized mentorship program, mastery- and project-based curriculum, and corporate work study program experience, our mission is to prepare our students to lead lives of faith, purpose and service who will succeed in college and beyond.
The Dean of School Culture is a dynamic growth-minded educator committed to our mission and the principles of restorative justice and wholeness. We are seeking someone dedicated to growing their equity and inclusion practices and who embraces and celebrates our rich cultural diversity. The Dean supports faculty and staff to embrace the seven essential characteristics of an educator at CRDLS. This position requires the ability to listen actively and build strong relationships with many stakeholders including students, guardians, and staff. The Dean reports to the Principal and is part of the Principal Leadership Team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Models the Lasallian Core Principles and promotes a growth mindset and high standards for all students
● Promotes an environment of learning and respect amongst the students, faculty and staff
● Works closely with the Director of DEIB to cultivate and support a diverse and inclusive community where all students can thrive personally and academically
● Communicates regularly with families and guardians to share information and co-create a culture of engagement, trust, and support
● Facilitates teacher training and support around relationships, proactive positive culture, expectations, accountability, consistency, and classroom management
Student Support and Discipline
● Creates and leads the implementation of the school’s discipline system and other structures necessary to promote student success inside and outside the classroom
● Assists the Vice Principal with annual review and revisions of the Student / Family Handbook
● Ensures all members of the school community uphold the expectations outlined in the Student/Family Handbook
● Actively promotes restorative practices and operates with the principles of restorative justice when engaging in student discipline
● Maintains policies, procedures, and individual records on student discipline and attendance
● Maintains strict confidentiality related to students and families
● Serves as a collaborative member of Student Success Team (SST/CARES Team) together with Vice Principal, counseling staff, mentor, Corporate Work Study Program representative and Principal to develop strategies to support the social-emotional growth, behavior, and learning needs of students
● Understands and appreciates the developmental and educational benefits of the school’s corporate work study program. Coordinates with the work-study team to comprehensively address student needs in the classroom and at the worksite
● Assigns and monitors lockers
● Leads mediation of conflict between teachers, students, and parents/guardians
● Reviews and maintains guidelines for student code of conduct, dress code and attendance policies and monitors and manages student success
● Oversees all discipline processes including discipline review board, student discipline contracts, and communication with all stakeholders, including written communication regarding suspension, probation, and dismissal
● Co-chairs the Baccalaureate/Graduation Committee with the Assistant Principal
● Collaborates with the Dean of Student Life on all student events
● Supervises building security, maintains school Crisis Plan, and conducts ongoing safety training/drills. Serves as school liaison to the surrounding community, as well as other area schools, about off-campus student safety, behavior and other student life issues.
Organization-Wide Learning & Development
● Possesses a growth mindset and identifies and accesses resources from colleagues and external sources to continually reflect on and improve practice.
● Participates in the school’s professional learning community, collaborating with colleagues to analyze student development and teaching practices.
● Helps to create a reflective learning community
We support our staff by providing:
● Protected time for professional development and instructional coaching
● Partnerships with educational institutions for discounted credential and masters in education
● 403(b) with matching; health, vision, and dental benefits
Required Skills and Qualifications
● A Bachelor’s Degree; Masters Degree preferred
● Minimum three-five years experience working in a high school in a similar position
● Preferred Bilingual in Spanish
● Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) and Restorative Justice practices
● Exhibits a personality that demonstrates enthusiasm, openness, and dedication to being a lifelong learner
● Exhibits interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents, and the community
● Strong written and verbal communication skills
Placement on Salary Scale is based on education and experience. Salary ranges from $95,000 – $115,000, depending on experience.
If you would like to be considered for a faculty position at Cristo Rey De La Salle, please submit a PDF document to email@example.com which includes the following:
2. Cover letter
3. 3 professional references
4. 1 personal reference
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org