Chinese American International School seeks an
Assistant Director of Advancement
This is an English language position; NO Chinese language proficiency required.
Exempt, full-time position
It’s an exciting time to work for Chinese American International School, especially as a member of its small—but mighty—advancement team! Having grown participation in the annual fund by current parents from 73% to 99%, and its annual auction proceeds by 100% to the philanthropic capacity present in the current population, we are embarking on a capital campaign to unite Preschool-grade 8 on one campus at 3250 19th Avenue, San Francisco. We are seeking the right person to manage several key aspects of the advancement program. This is an ideal growth opportunity for an advancement professional looking to deepen their knowledge and bring their skills to bear in a dynamic and extremely successful setting.
The incumbent will work closely with the Director of Advancement to develop institutional strategy for advancement activities. The Assistant Director of Advancement is responsible for the Annual Fund, Alumni Relations, and plays a key role in producing ShowCAIS, the annual auction. The incumbent will be responsible for recruiting and guiding a robust volunteer force to support the Annual Fund, growing the Alumni Relations program, and leading aspects of ShowCAIS, while focusing on the overall growth of philanthropy at CAIS.
● Work with Director of Advancement to plan and execute the 100-day Annual Fund program.
○ Work with Advancement staff to facilitate all meetings, communications, and stewardship events related to the Annual Fund
○ Identify, recruit, and train volunteers as solicitors for the Annual Fund, and support their efforts
○ Oversee tracking, stewardship and solicitation
○ Assess areas for growth within the Annual Fund related to giving from alumni, grandparents, trustees, parents of alumni and current parents
○ Oversee research of incoming parents and recommendations on their strategic engagement with the community
○ Attend monthly Board of Trustees Advancement Committee meetings and take minutes.
● Partner with Director of Advancement and advancement staff to produce ShowCAIS. Efforts include but aren’t limited to:
○ Recruit and support Sponsorship Committee
○ Liaise with auction consignment companies to select items for live auction
○ Solicit donations for online and silent auction. Catalogue all donations in event software.
● Maintain comprehensive knowledge of all of department’s initiatives, including Auction and capital campaign, to make best decisions for department and donors
● Oversee the Advancement Office’s constituent database including moves management systems, gift accounting and acknowledgment, pledge collection, and creation of financial reports
● Support Director of Communications by providing content, writing stories as needed.
● Staff CAIS’s alumni relations program in an effort to seed alumni engagement in the life of the school and philanthropy. Activities include:
○ Coordinate Alumni Association activities, meetings, including goal-setting and communications.
○ In conjunction with Director of Communications, oversee all communications efforts with alumni, including social media, website, and digital newsletters.
○ In conjunction with Advancement staff, plan and coordinate all logistics for alumni events. Develop communications plan to drive attendance and support Alumni Association leaders.
○ Consider new activities and engagement strategies.
○ As time allows, create strategy and activities to engage Parents of Alumni (PALs) in philanthropy and the life of the school.
● Bachelor’s Degree
● Working knowledge of Veracross or similar fundraising database
● Three or more years’ experience in fundraising and proven record of fundraising success
● Must possess knowledge of fundraising principles and practice and maintain a professional, polished demeanor
● Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
● Actively engaged in professional development and current on best practice
● Personable, positive, proactive personality; Customer service mindset
● Ability to develop close professional relationships with a diverse spectrum of faculty, staff, donors and volunteers
● Detail-oriented, with strong organizational, analytical and planning skills
● Initiative and independence in carrying out responsibilities
● Our team subscribes to the mantra, “we do windows” and we happily pitch in where needed to get the job done.
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place to work. The school is committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier employees with a strong benefits package. Please see the final page for a description of benefits.
As the nation’s first dual language Chinese and English Preschool through 8th grade school, CAIS embodies our mission by working continuously to maintain our role as a leader in immersion education. At CAIS we value honest self-assessment, thoughtful self-reflection, intentional planning and focused implementation. We are known as an ambitious school, and we have embarked on a multi-year vision to reimagine immersion, reimagine our culture of learning, reimagine character and community, and reimagine our learning spaces.
Our three campuses are currently located in the Hayes Valley neighborhood of San Francisco. We are thrilled to announce that we have purchased a campus on 19th Avenue in San Francisco which would more than double our program space and allow all divisions to be together on one spectacular campus.
For more information, visit https://www.cais.org/about-us/employment and the Advancement Team page.
CAIS’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to our mission. People of color and LGBTQIA candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email cover letter (which is a vital writing sample), resume, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line please indicate “Assistant Director of Advancement.” In your cover letter please reference how you learned of this opening. Please no calls.
CAIS as a Workplace
Chinese American International School is dedicated to attracting, developing, rewarding and retaining world-class employees and ensuring that this is a great place to work. We put a high priority on advances in compensation, benefits, and work climate with a 2021–2022 benefits package and perks including:
Distinctively CAIS Benefits
Down payment assistance for home purchase
Commuter benefits (up to $280/month)
Trips to China and Taiwan
Chaperone student trips to Taiwan (Taipei) and China (Guilin and Yunnan Province)
Dynamic, dual culture setting valuing honest self assessment, thoughtful self reflection, intentional planning, and focused implementation
CAIS contributes 5% of your earnings immediately in a 403(B) retirement plan (no contribution required on your part)
Transparent salary benchmarked to the Bay Area’s competitive standards, including annual cost-of-living adjustments
Consideration for relocation costs
Approximately 90% adjustment to tuition for exempt employees
Robust opportunities for conferences, workshops, and courses
Membership in California Teacher Development Collaborative — https://catdc.org/
CAIS pays 100% of the premium for medical, dental, vision, acupuncture, short-term disability and long-term disability, and life insurance for you (along with competitive rates for spouse and family coverage)
Employer-funded Health Savings Account (HSA) and Pre-tax HSA employee contribution
Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for medical and dependent care
Vacation / Holiday / Paid Time Off
Thanksgiving Break – 1 week
Winter Break (December/January) – 2 weeks
Paid school holidays according to the school calendar
Up to 2 additional days off for religious holidays
Accrue 11.5 days of Sick Time annually
Accrue 10 to 20 days of Vacation Time annually based on years of service
Quality of Life and Appreciation
Monthly appreciation lunches
Twice-yearly Faculty/Staff Appreciation Weeks
Annual milestones luncheon
Free tickets to annual dinner/dance gala
Lunar New Year luncheon
Birthday gift card