Park Day School
Park Day School Mission
At Park Day School, dedicated teachers and engaged students collaborate to create a dynamic and joyful learning community for mastering academic and interpersonal skills. Students construct meaning and deep understanding through inquiry and discovery-based teaching. Our practices promote critical and creative thinking, artistic expression, and a commitment to diversity and social justice. In the spirit of partnership and service, students expand their perspectives through participation in the broader community. Continuing the legacy of the progressive education movement, Park Day School prepares students to be informed, courageous, and compassionate people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world.
At Park Day School, expert teachers and dedicated staff are committed to the enterprise of providing a place where students learn deeply, think creatively, act compassionately, and live fully. Founded in 1976, Park Day offers an outstanding co-educational K-8 program to over 300 students. The school community embraces the ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic diversity of Oakland. The school is rooted in the tenets of progressive education and reinforces 21st Century learning. Our student-centered approach cultivates deep thinkers and compassionate and courageous people who shape a more equitable and sustainable world. Park Day is a leader in public purpose initiatives; our community outreach program collaborates with public schools and community groups to create meaningful service-learning opportunities for our students.
Located in the Temescal neighborhood of Oakland, the school is situated on a four-acre campus that has been described as “glorious” and “a jewel” with trees, gardens, and quiet niches as well as outdoor play and athletic facilities; it is a campus for all ages. Park Day has become a leader in developing innovative educational connections between campus and classroom, including our living labs, specialized learning gardens, nature zone, chicken coop, and edible gardens.
The Middle School Athletic Director is responsible for the physical education and student activities aspects of a progressive, integrated learning experience (alongside Art, Drama, Math, Music, Science, Spanish, and Humanities), including curriculum development, student advising, student assessment and parent communication. The Middle School Athletic Director oversees the interscholastic athletics, club sports, and PE programs that comprise the comprehensive health and wellness, sound body and sound mind, 6-8 grade program. This position requires the ability to work collaboratively with the entire MS staff, teaming to support the students socially, emotionally and academically. The Middle School teachers work closely to ensure as much program cohesiveness and continuity as possible. Candidates should be prepared to deliver a rigorous and progressive Physical Education program. We also seek a vibrant teacher who brings creativity, innovation, and a social justice lens to their teaching practice.
● Develop and maintain a comprehensive, age-appropriate 6-8th grade curriculum that includes proper assessment and evaluation of skills being taught.
● Teach physical fitness, rhythm and dance, team and individual sports, and innovative games that increase fitness, motor skills, and character building among students.
● Collaborate with lower school PE teacher in creating a unified k-8 curriculum.
● Manage middle school equipment and purchase any additional needs.
● Passion and knowledge of working with a diverse student body and a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and social justice
● Commit to other departmental, committee, and general school responsibilities such as teaching electives, writing narrative progress reports twice a year, and supervising lunch and breaks on a regular basis.
● Lead an advisory group (experience with Developmental Designs a plus).
● Identify and support strategic sports and activities, help hire coaches and other staff, identify and manage off site facilities, order and maintain uniforms and equipment, coordinate scheduling, ensure transportation, lead and manage parent volunteers, budget, manage league memberships and relations.
● Communicate with parents, administrators, and faculty, using different social media applications.
● Coordinate elective program and 7th grade Mini-term week
● Secure location for PDS EBISA Dance as well as staff and family chaperones, manage EBISA permission slips between advisors and families
● Position requires coaching 2 out of 3 seasons of sport (Fall, Winter, Spring)
● Be fluent in progressive educational theory and practices, be culturally competent, and have at least three years of exemplary classroom teaching experience.
● Have experience in developing a 6th -8th grade curriculum for an outdoor physical education program.
● Demonstrate positive classroom management
● Effectively communicate in the classroom and with faculty and peers
● Have a working understanding of developmental/constructivist teaching practices and social emotional learning.
● Be able to successfully instruct and differentiate for students at different ability levels and with multiple intelligences.
● Have a nurturing and supportive tone with students, and experience with collaborative teaching.
● Infuse lessons with energy and joy, inspire a passion for learning, and anchor curriculum in meaningful contexts for deep understanding.
● Establish and maintain a healthy and mutually respectful learning environment. Have a proven track record of successfully working as a member of a teaching team and communicating effectively and collaboratively with staff and parents. Have experience leading a middle school advisory group.
● Be prepared to spend additional time getting to know and help students outside of the classroom.
● Demonstrate excellent organizational, communication, and follow through skills.
● Be flexible and adaptive, demonstrating a positive attitude with a sense of humor.
● A valid teaching credential is strongly desired.
Administrative salary and benefits are competitive and will be based on qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits offered including employer-paid medical, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, and tuition remission. PDS is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit resumes by Friday, May 18, 2018 at https://parkdayschool.applicantpro.com/jobs/
Park Day School actively seeks to build a diverse student, staff and parent/guardian community. We are an avid equal opportunity employer and seek applicants who reflect the rich diversity of the Bay Area. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship, ethnicity, family-care status, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, disability, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, faith or veteran status. PDS is an EEO employer and follows all applicable employment laws.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org