Montessori Family School
Opening 2020 – 2021, or sooner
Early Childhood Assistant Teacher
Montessori Family School is a private, independent school serving 130 students ages 3 to 14 on two campuses in Berkeley and El Cerrito, CA. Founded in 1981 to provide an authentic Montessori education for East Bay families, MFS seeks to nurture each child’s individual learning style while maintaining standards of academic excellence. A full member of the American Montessori Society, MFS has adhered strongly to its mission for more than 35 years: Preparation for Life, Education for Peace, and a Community for Children.
Our two Early Childhood classrooms in Berkeley serve approximately 18 students in each classroom, with students ages 3 – 6. There are 2 full-time teachers in each classroom and a shared space with a fifth teacher. You will collaborate with the other teacher to guide the children, give presentations, provide lunch and recess coverage, and make pedagogical materials. Hours are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Montessori Family School early childhood classroom teachers work a 10-month school year from August – June, with summers off, minus 2 weeks of summer camp and teacher work weeks. We seek a positive role model with a strong work ethic who actively embraces life-long learning as well as a collaborative approach to education balanced with a strong sense of autonomy. A keen sense of humor helps.
Other professional qualities include:
- A bachelor’s degree and a strong written and verbal communication skills
- Though we are a low-tech learning environment, you will need solid computer skills
- Significant experience working with children ages 3 – 6
- 12 Early Childhood units to include Child Development and Child, Family and Community courses
- An ability to follow procedure, supporting others to do so, while at the same time juggling multiple priorities with calm.
- The skills of both self-reflection and collaboration.
Desirable personal qualities include:
- Montessori 3 – 6 (early childhood) training culminating in a MACTE-approved credential, or the desire to attend training
- A love of children and a deep respect for their capabilities.
- Appreciation for Montessori education and willingness to promote the philosophy with the belief that by working in a small school you can change the world.
- Flexible and resilient with a down-to-earth, hands-on style.
- Taking great satisfaction in making things work even when no one sees what you do.
Montessori Family School offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
You must be authorized to work in the United States. If you have interest and motivation for working at an established, dynamic Montessori school, send resume and cover letter combined into one PDF document to Shawna McCarroll, at jobs@montessorifamilydotcom.
Montessori Family School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com