Located in the San Francisco / Silicon Valley Bay Area (Hillsborough, CA), The Nueva School is a nationally recognized, co-educational, independent day school for gifted and high ability students grades preK-8 expanding to preK-12. Nueva offers a constructivist program, project-based learning, and special area teachers in design thinking, social emotional learning, technology, math, science, visual and performing arts, music, physical education and athletics. Now in its 45th year, Nueva is recognized as one of the leading independent schools specializing in education for gifted and high ability students in the country, recognized in each of the last three decades as a US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award-winning school and highlighted recently by the Pulitzer Prize-winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his 2011 book “That Used to Be Us” in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
The Systems Engineer and Client Support Specialist will report to the Director of Technology and share responsibility for maintaining our technology infrastructure, including networks, servers, communications and applications, as well as supporting various user needs across a multi-building, multi-site environment.
• Responsibility of network systems and communication infrastructure across both sites, and associated system administration duties.
Responsible for network infrastructure (wired, wireless) – design and management, including, but not limited to: firewalls, switches, content filtering solution
Responsible designing WAN connectivity across sites, and integration with existing infrastructure.
Administer/deploy integrated phone and voicemail systems across sites
Administer/deploy integrated Exchange e-mail system and anti-spam solution
Administer/deploy integrated user authentication services (Active Directory/Open Directory)
Administer/deploy file and print services
Administer/deploy integrated backup systems and processes
Administer/deploy web servers for all websites
Administer/deploy web services and accounts
Help support security infrastructure and emergency broadcast systems
Monitor network systems to detect, identify, and address performance, reliability and security issues.
Provide support of desktops, laptops, shared devices, and any online services.
• Assist in integration of classroom technology.
Help design and support classroom technology, including integrated A/V systems in classrooms, digital/interactive displays, built-in audio, document cameras, etc.
Help design & host in-house professional development opportunities
Host regular student/faculty/parent education and/or orientations.
• Work in a team environment with members of the Technology Office and vendors.
Maintain relationships with vendors, consultants, and contractors.
Lead infrastructure projects involving outside contractors/consultants
• Support school community with technology issues and questions, equipment deployments and setup.
• Assist in defining and implementing technology policies, procedures, and best practices.
• Other duties as required and/or assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in information systems management, computer science or another related field.
• 4 or more years of related experience in IT. Education experience also a plus.
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
• 4 years or more years of experience with, and advanced knowledge of, Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems (both client and server).
• 4 years or more years of experience with, and advanced knowledge of, Active Directory and Open Directory.
• 4 years or more years of experience with, and advanced knowledge of, Cisco (wired) and wireless networking equipment.
• 4 years or more years of experience with, and advanced knowledge of, VoIP phone systems, preferably ShoreTel.
• Must be able to work collaboratively in a team environment.
• Must be proactive at planning, problem solving, and communications.
• Must be able to work well under pressure and be able to adapt to changes in a highly technology-oriented environment.
• Must be flexible and adaptive to rapid change.
• Must have great communication skills and follow through.
• Knowledge of emerging and current technologies and their application to an education environment and administrative processes.