Founded in 1898, SHS is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, independent school and is comprised of four divisions: SHS Preschool and Kindergarten, SHS Lower and Middle Schools for grades one through eight, and Sacred Heart Preparatory for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64‐acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school’s mission is to educate the whole child to be a leader who loves God and serves others.
SHS employs over 250 full‐ and part‐time women and men with a strong commitment to diversity. Nearly 25% of the 1,000+ students are students of color; a significant percentage of the student body receives need‐based tuition assistance; many graduating seniors earn recognition in the National Merit Scholarship program; 100% of our graduates are accepted into four‐year colleges.
The annual budget of SHS is more than $30 million and the endowment is nearly $40 million, both growing rapidly in recent years and expected to continue growing as enrollment increases toward 1,200 students, and as a result of the capital campaign.
Summary of Position
Sacred Heart Preparatory (high school division) is seeking a full-time Department Head/Instructor for the 2013-2014 Academic year. This is a full-time position, teaching three sections each semester, plus providing departmental leadership. Requirements include at least five years of experience teaching at a high school, and a Masters Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Curriculum & Instruction, Educational Leadership, Science Education or a related field. The successful candidate will be able to masterfully teach science as well as provide leadership in the areas of 21st century science education. The Department Head supervises all Science Instructors and provides leadership on an inter-disciplinary team of colleagues who meet regularly to “think big” about the future of our academic programs, teaching & learning, and other issues related to education. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in multicultural education and educational technology and a deep concern for educational access, diversity and inclusion.
Required Knowledge and Skills for All Teaching Positions at SHS
• A clear understanding of and appreciation for the goals and criteria of a Sacred Heart education.
• Strong teaching ability; enjoy working with children and adolescents.
• Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English.
• Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the SHS community.
• Obvious passion for the academic subject matter being taught.
• Commitment to equity and inclusion.
• Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
• Excellent attendance and punctuality.
Qualifications for this position
• Master’s degree or post graduate work in subject matter and educational administration.
• A minimum of five years teaching and administration experience in an independent school environment.
• Experience of any kind in a Sacred Heart school strongly preferred.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Demonstrated leadership and facilitative skills.
The advertised position offers competitive compensation. SHS has a policy of making health and welfare benefits available to employees, including long-term substitute teachers who meet the requisite criteria, based on the length of assignment and subject to the plan parameters, including medical and dental coverage. In addition, all employees are eligible to enjoy a prepared lunch each school day starting on the first day worked.
Please apply online by sending a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You MUST indicate Prep Science Department Head 13-14 in the subject line of the e‐mail.
Or, you may mail your resume to:
Sacred Heart Schools
150 Valparaiso Avenue
Atherton, CA 94027
Attention Human Resources: Prep Science Department Head 13-14
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Pre‐employment background screening is required for all positions.
For more information on Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton, please see our website at: http://apptrkr.com/298846
Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton believes that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, citizenship, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state or local laws.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.