Katherine Delmar Burke School is an independent K-8 girls’ school located on a 3.5 acre campus in San Francisco. Based on a 100-year tradition of educational excellence, Burke’s today is one of California’s leading elementary schools. The school combines strong academic and co-curricular programs with an emphasis on personal growth in a diverse and inclusive community. We emphasize the development of fundamental and higher level critical thinking skills in an atmosphere of creativity, exploration, and academic rigor.
The Receptionist reports to the Director of Finance and Operation and is the first face of the school community and plays an essential role in setting the tone of professionalism, warmth, and inclusion. The Receptionist is a year-round, non-exempt employee and is expected to work from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- Assume responsibility for answering telephones and greeting and assisting people who call or come into the office.
- Assure that parents and the public are warmly greeted and assisted when they have requests of the school – including potential new parents coming for admissions tours.
- Check all visitors to the school into the visitor management system. Track visitors entering and departing the school.
- Sign in students who are late, issue tardy slips, and collect attendance information from each class. Input attendance data daily. Provide attendance reports as necessary.
- Assist with managing all outside calls for the Head of School, ensuring that all calls are transferred to the Assistant to the Head of School.
- Call families to inform them of illness or other student pick up needs.
- Provide basic first aid to sick and injured students. Determine when and how families should be informed of illness and determine need to be picked up.
- Oversee the “sick room”.
- Maintain information on field trips, including departure and arrival times and confirmation of chaperone’s insurance and DMV information. In addition, be knowledgeable on information regarding athletic events, special events and modified schedules, as well as other pertinent information that may be requested by a caller.
- Keep student files up to date, including immunization and medical records.
- Maintain listing of allergies by student and coordinate medicines held on campus for students, including EpiPens.
- Collect and follow up on delinquent Family Information, Emergency and DMV forms. Update Emergency Forms as parents provide changes of information.
- Keep track of changes in student pick-up instructions, giving copies to classroom teachers and the Director of After School Enrichment Program and Extended Care.
- Manage all faculty emergency contact information.
- Provide support to the Athletic Program.
- Coordinate staffing with outside security company, making sure that they are aware of all school holidays, early dismissal days and special events.
- Interface with SF Fire Department for monthly fire drills.
- Activate communication system in case of emergency
- Perform other duties consistent with the above responsibilities.
- Support the school’s mission and its leadership.
- Participate in the professional life of the school (attend staff meetings, serve on committees?)
- Support office staff in clerical tasks as needed and as time allows.
- Maintain record of archived student files and acts as liaison with Cor-o- Van Storage
- Liaison with School Photographer
- Attend several General Faculty/Staff Meetings throughout the school year
- Knowledge of Word, Excel and Filemaker Pro
The School offers competitive compensation based on prior experience and position requirements. Comprehensive benefits are provided. Burke’s is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The start date for this position is as early as July 1, 2014.