Breakthrough San Francisco at SF Day School provides intensive enrichment and support to motivated San Francisco students with limited educational opportunities, and trains outstanding college students for education careers. To that end, we operate an academically rigorous six-week summer program that doubles as a training ground for our intern teachers. In addition, we operate an after-school and Saturday tutoring and enrichment program during the school year, staffed largely by volunteers.
Our results are exceptional. In summer 2012, our students made gains of 1.2 grade equivalents in math and 0.6 grade equivalents in reading, on average. Also in 2012, our intern teachers made average gains of 27% on our teacher excellence rubric. We are at an exciting point in our development: initially a program for fifth and sixth graders, we recently launched a multi-year expansion. We currently serve 134 students in grades 5 – 8, and by 2017 will expand to roughly 280 students in grades 5 – 12.
Since 1993, Breakthrough has been a community involvement initiative of San Francisco Day School, a K-8 coeducational independent day school that values academic excellence for all students. We are an affiliate of the national non-profit organization Breakthrough Collaborative.
The Program Associate is a key member of Breakthrough San Francisco’s five-person administrative team and helps ensure the academic success and overall well-being of our fifth – eighth graders. He or she oversees student recruitment and admissions; builds close relationships with students and their family members; plans year-round enrichment activities for students; and carefully monitors their performance, both in school and at Breakthrough. The Program Associate works closely with the other members of Breakthrough’s program team reports to the Director of Student Support. This is a new position created as part of Breakthrough San Francisco’s expansion.
Essential FunctionsStudent Recruitment and Admissions
· Lead annual student recruitment efforts, conducting outreach to public elementary schools across San Francisco and
a wide array of community organizations, and building close relationships with teachers and staff.
· Lead annual student admissions process, assembling a diverse and highly motivated cohort of new Breakthrough
students, with active involvement of admissions committee volunteers.
Student Tracking and Support
· Closely monitor performance of Breakthrough students in grades 5 – 8, both at Breakthrough and at students’
schools. Regularly review report card grades and communicate with teachers and administrators. Conduct classroom
observations as needed.
· Oversee switch to Salesforce.com for student record keeping. Ensure timely and accurate entry of key student
outcome data. Generate reports to spot ongoing issues and potential trends.
· Address student performance issues as they arise, working closely with the Director of Student Support, students’
family members, and relevant personnel at Breakthrough and at students’ schools.
· Assist with year-round student and family communication, including phone, email, mailings, and social
· Plan and implement Saturday excursions to museums, colleges, and outdoor destinations during the school year.
· Assist with planning of other events throughout the year, such as Back to School Bash, Olympics, and Celebration.
· Assist with planning and leadership of All-School Meeting.
· Assist with middle and high school admissions processes.
· Possibly, provide IT support, including printer, projector, and copier issues.
· Possibly, handle supply orders and petty cash.
· Possibly, update and generate copy for website, newsletters, and social media.
· Collaborate closely with program staff at Breakthrough San Francisco and at other Breakthrough sites nationally.
· Carry out other projects as needed.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Experience working with urban students of color and their families
· Demonstrated ability to hold students to high standards and achieve measurable results
· Demonstrated commitment to educational equity
· Demonstrated history of reflecting on own performance and striving for professional growth
· Excellent presentation, writing, organizational, and interpersonal communication skills
· Prior experience with Summerbridge/Breakthrough highly desirable
· Familiarity with San Francisco schools highly desirable
· Fluency in Spanish and/or Cantonese highly desirable
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; and taste and smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move equipment up to thirty pounds and must be alert for student safety.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee will occasionally work in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.Commitment and Compensation
· Year-round, full-time position, starting September 2013
· Competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with education and experience and consistent with San Francisco Day School personnel policies
Email a current resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com no later than July 31, 2013 with subject line Program Associate. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Prior to applying, please thoroughly review our website, www.breakthroughsf.org. Questions can be directed to Executive Director Andy Shin at (415) 568-3661 or firstname.lastname@example.org.