- DATE: 5/5/2020 - 6/1/2020
The People of Color in Independent Schools Board is seeking to honor four high school students who have demonstrated a commitment to equity and inclusion and are leaders in the classroom and beyond to award a one-time $1,500 scholarship. To be eligible students must:
- Self-identify as a student of color
- Attend a POCIS member school
- Average a 3.25 cumulative grade point average or higher
- Enroll in a 2-4 year institution of higher learning
Students should complete the online application by June 1. The Application has 5 parts:
- Original Essay: “Why do you believe the cultures, diverse heritages, languages, knowledge, and insights of people of color contribute to creating inclusive, and affirming schools?”
- Three pages or less.
- Twelve-point, Times New Roman Font
- Double spaced
- Two recommendations from adult members of your school community regarding your strength and experience as a leader. Provide the names and emails of your sponsors, in the online application, and we will contact them on your behalf.
- One recommendation from an adult member of your broader community regarding your strengths as a leader. Provide the name and email of the persons you want to recommend you and we will send them a recommendation form on your behalf.
- Short Answer (500 words or less): “How do you personally contribute to creating an inclusive, and affirming environment at your school ?”
- Evidence of 3.25 cumulative GPA (official transcript, PowerSchool, etc.)
The Selection Process
Members of the Scholarship Selection Committee will evaluate the applications and determine the four award recipients. The Selection Committee will consist of seven members, including the Scholarship Committee Chairperson. The other six members may be a combination of current and past school members, partners, and board alumni.
The Selection Team will review the applications and determine the fellowship recipients based on the following criteria:
- How insightfully does the essay address the prompt and relate to the student’s experience?
- How persuasively are the recommendations in describing the student’s leadership qualities and commitment to fairness, dignity, and respect?
- How persuasive is the short answer response in convincing the reader of the student’s sincerity and strengths?
- How culturally, ethnically and racially diverse is the cohort of 4 students who are receiving the award? Are all persons of color being included in the award opportunity?
Applicants will be notified by the POCIS Board Chair of their status no later than June 30.