Expected Beginning Date: August, 2013
Deadline to Apply: April 5, 2013Position Description:
The Part Time Middle School Librarian is responsible implementing a library program to meet the needs of middle school students and faculty including:
• All library services such as collection management, cataloging, programing, staffing and facilities maintenance.
• Collaborating with and supporting teachers and their curriculum.
• Research Skills and Information Literacy related classroom instruction.
• Promoting recreational reading.
• Supporting students and teachers with research project assistance.
• Coordinating an all-school library program with the Library Director.
This position also includes various middle school co-curricular responsibilities including:
• Leading student orientation programs, interim trips and a student Advisory
• Teaching elective classes and interdisciplinary “Focus Days”
• Participating in faculty meetings, professional development activities, and other school related events. Core Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of experience teaching in a middle school is required.
• Experience working with middle school students in an educational setting.
• Technology proficiency with computers, iPads printers, networks, and other peripherals
• Demonstrated commitment to education for democracy, justice, equity, inclusion, community service, and environmental stewardship. Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience collaborating with teachers to plan and implement lessons, activities and field trips.
• Master’s degree in Library Information Services (MLIS) or related field and/or teaching credential.
• Experience working in a school library and managing all aspects of library services including information literacy instruction, collection development and de-selection, library information system management, materials cataloging and MARC record annotation, databases, research instruction and other library-specific skills.
• Experience teaching middle school students in a classroom setting.
• Experience recruiting, supervising and retaining adult volunteers.
• Familiarity with middle school literature and experience promoting recreational reading.
• Experience coordinating special events.
School Description: The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 440 students, including 42 boarding students, 30 of whom are international students. We ask that all applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy. Visit our website at www.athenian.org.
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
Athenian School strives to attract and retain a faculty and staff of the highest caliber. We have a unique community here, filled with many differing opinions, backgrounds, ideologies and experiences. We have students from all over the globe, our families include a mom and a dad, two moms, two dads, single parents, guardians and stepparents. We have many faiths and those who are non-observant. We represent all income levels. What we share is a belief in Athenian’s mission. By embracing diversity in all forms — gender and gender identity, sexuality, faith, ethnicity, socio-economic status — we encourage students to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions and to learn to work collaboratively as global citizens and advocates for positive change.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch. Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 5, 2013
Address your letter of interest to Jim Sternberg, Library Director.
Please also include the particular source through which you learned about this position: job opportunity website (name), referral organization, friend/colleague, Athenian website, etc.