San Francisco Friends School
The San Francisco Friends School is an Independent K-8 school in the Mission District that was founded in the tradition of Quaker schools. Having opened our doors in 2002, we now have 430 students in our K-8 school. The middle school core curriculum (5th through 8th grades) is a rigorous, inquiry-based program in science, math, humanities, and Spanish language. Middle school students also study art, music, drama, dance, and physical education. Students belong to a mixed-age advisory group, participate in weekly elective classes, and study age-appropriate topics in health, wellness, and media literacy.
We seek an assistant teacher for the 2013-2014 school year. Assistant teachers contribute to the middle school faculty’s ability to holistically understand our students’ learning strengths and needs and respond to these with individual care and attention. SFFS seeks candidates compelled by the school’s mission, which includes progressive and project based education supported by a community dedicated to peaceful problem-solving, service to others, simplicity, respect for the individual and silent reflection.
The assistant’s role is a full time, contracted position at SFFS, which includes health and other benefits. Teaching assistants are important members of the SFFS teaching team who give support to our middle school teachers and students. The assistant is expected to be working toward being a classroom teacher—while SFFS does not have a formal mentoring program, we are eager to support assistants as they develop their skills as educators.
The middle school teaching assistant will be involved in the following duties:
• Supporting all 5th students in the transition from lower to middle school, and new middle school students as they transition into SFFS from other schools
• Serving as a co-advisor
• Working with individual, small and large groups of children in all subjects
• Working with Learning Specialist to support students with a variety of learning profiles
• Conducting student observations
• Accompanying students on field trips and attending specialist classes, as needed
• Providing short-term coverage for lead teachers, as needed
• Assisting in coordination of field trips, service learning and outdoor education
• Participating in faculty and staff meetings
• Supervising children, including during recess, lunchtime, arrival, dismissal and after school in our new learning commons
• Developing curriculum, preparing materials for lessons, and maintaining classroom spaces
• Designing and leading elective classes for small groups of students
• Assembling student portfolios
Additional responsibilities may be negotiated based on the skills, expertise and profile of the applicant. The assistant will work closely with mentor teachers and is encouraged to join school activities and serve on school-wide committees. The middle school assistant will attend a few evening events, such as Back to School Night, New Family Orientation evenings, conferences and may support teachers in assessments and preparations for report writing, as requested.
Overview of Qualifications
Successful applicants will possess a sense of commitment to the school’s mission and eagerness to participate in a developing community. We seek flexible applicants willing to adapt to the needs of a range of students and teachers. Qualified applicants will possess a talent for working with children in an educational setting, as well as strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team. We are particularly drawn to educators who have a pioneering spirit and are creative problem solvers. We seek assistants who are open and adept at communicating with diverse colleagues, parents, and students. Bilingual/biliterate candidates in Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email Andrew Salverda, Middle School Head at email@example.com or send a resume and letter to SFFS 250 Valencia St, SF, CA 94103.