Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Middle School 6th Grade Teacher for the 2013-14 school year.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recently featured Prospect Sierra as a “Model School of the Future”, (among only seven schools worldwide), in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information about the school.
Overview of Position:
The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head and be responsible for teaching 6th grade homeroom and humanities.
• Plan, deliver, and evaluate daily lessons for 6th grade homeroom and humanities
• Create meaningful relationships and an inclusive classroom community with 24 sixth graders and help them navigate their social, emotional, and academic lives
• Communicate effectively with parents
• Collaborate with the 6th Grade Team to ensure cohesive delivery of the 6th grade curriculum
• Teach a weekly elective (topic of your choice)
• Co-lead a student ‘family’ group (about 16-18 students)
• Work with the technology and library departments to integrate various media into curriculum
• Co-chaperone a four-day/3-night student field trip to a working biodynamic farm
• Participate in other school-wide activities throughout the year, such as committees, team, department, and staff meetings, and occasional evening or weekend school events
The candidate must have:
• Training in (or familiarity with) using the Writing Workshop approach to writing
• Training in (or ability to learn) how to incorporate design thinking into the curriculum
• Ability to guide students through the research process using books, interviews with experts, and on-line resources, and to help students analyze and present their ideas in writing and using various media resources
• Comfort with dynamic, flexible curriculum
• Ability to facilitate project based learning
• Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
• Strong organizational, communication, and record keeping skills
• Ability and willingness to work in teams and collaborate extensively with colleagues
• Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles
• Ability to foster strong parent connections
• Sense of humor
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and GLBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive.
How to Apply:
Send a résumé (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Heather Rogers, Middle School Head
Attn: 6th Grade Teacher Position
Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Drive
El Cerrito, CA 94530
Fax: (510) 527-3728
Applications from recruiters/recruiting agencies are not accepted.