Bentley School, an independent K-12 school in Oakland and Lafayette, California, seeks a full-time, mathematics specialist, able and eager to enhance math instruction across grades and subject areas. The Mathematics Specialist will liaise with families to clarify the goals of the curriculum and provide ways they can support their student at home.
The position will include, but is not limited to:
- Lead Lower School team in researching, adopting, implementing, and evaluating mathematics curricula and teaching materials that reflect Bentley’s commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
- Evaluate and update K-8 mathematics scope and sequence
- Work closely with the Upper School mathematics department to ensure seamless K-12 alignment
- Collaborate with teachers to evaluate, design, and interpret formative and summative assessments to monitor student learning
- Coach faculty members in ways to engage students, design lessons, provide students with a variety of learning opportunities, integrate application of math concepts to STEM program and use technology to enhance teaching and learning
- Communicate with families about the math curriculum and ways to bring math “alive” in students’ lives at home
Candidates should possess the ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students. The ideal candidate should also be committed to issues of diversity, leadership, inclusion, and equity. Candidates who reflect the broad range of diversity of the Bay Area are encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated successful teaching experience, preferably in a K-12 school
- Bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s preferred
- Strong background in the study of multiple levels of mathematics
- Demonstrated experience in applying math concepts to “real world” subjects and designs
· Experience in course design, planning, and implementation.
· Advanced degree in Mathematics
· Knowledge of NCTM principles and standards
· A passion for working with young people
· A desire to collaborate in a dynamic community of teachers
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to MathematicsSpecialist2014@bentleyschool.net . No calls please. Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer.