One Year Position (with renewal option): Live-In Residential Staff (LRS)
Dates: August 20, 2013 – June 8, 2014
The Athenian School Boarding Program is seeking two extraordinary individuals interested in working and living with teenagers in an educational and multicultural environment to serve as dedicated Live-in Residential Staff (LRS), one for the Girls’ Dormitory and one for the Boys’ Dormitory, to manage and supervise the dorm, ensure the safety and academic, social and emotional well-being of the boarding students at all times, and create/provide a warm, positive community experience and a “homelike” atmosphere in the dorm.
Due to the nature of this position, the LRS is required to live in a single room in the dormitory and aid boarding students after hours in emergency.
Primary job expectations:
• Stay overnight in the dorm six out of seven nights a week – actively on call three nights out of the six for urgent student matters. (Specific days TBD but overnight shift is Sun – Thurs, 11:00pm – 7:00am, Fri.: midnight – Sat., 8:00am & Sat.: midnight – Sun., 8:00am) with the exception of one full weekend off every fourth weekend while school is in session as well as several nice breaks throughout the academic year when school is not in session (long weekends and vacations).
• supervise dorm study hours 2.5 nights a week (2 nights, Mon – Wed 7:30pm – 11:00pm and every other Sunday night 5:00pm – 11:00pm)
• attend evening meal 2 nights a week
• Participate in all-community residential events (ie: monthly dinners, residential outings)
• Experience working with high school students, particularly international students
• Strong understanding of adolescent development and behavior
• Demonstrated ability in leadership and collegiality
• Strong experience working in multi-cultural settings
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Experience working in a boarding school or equivalent program
• Four-year college education
• Ability to maintain order and enforce rules in a consistent manner
• Valid US driver’s license with good driving record
• Current or previous employee (faculty/staff) of The Athenian School
• Previous experience in residential life
• Experience in education
• Experience with conflict resolution
• Experience in parenting (parenting education)
Live-In Residential Staff receive a $7000 stipend and room and board.
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school which prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Athenian students develop a deep understanding of themselves, extraordinary skills for achievement, and the compassion to make a difference in the world. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 440 students, including 42 boarding students, 30 of whom are international students. For more information about Athenian’s unique educational program, applicants are encouraged to visit our website: www.athenian.org.
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation; international and multicultural understanding; participatory government; outdoor education; and service is essential.
The Athenian School seeks diversity in its community and does not discriminate against
any employee or applicant because of race, ethnicity, citizenship status, national origin,
ancestry, gender identity or gender expression, age, religion, creed, physical disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Athenian’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice is reflected in our hiring process;
people of color and GLBTI candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send letter of interest, current resume, and three references via email to: email@example.com
Michelle Park, International/Residential Programs Director.