Website Windward School
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our History Department. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The History and Social Sciences Department is looking for an experienced, innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will embrace collaborative curriculum design and working closely as part of a teaching team to create and continuously refine curriculum. Ideally, applicants will be experienced practitioners of backward design based on clearly defined curricular understandings and have experience developing curriculum variations to challenge all learners.
In the History and Social Sciences Department, students and teachers seek to understand the past on its own terms, working together to develop understandings of the past that allow us to critically analyze the present. Content is used as a vehicle for developing historical thinking skills through the generation of questions, the interrogation and analysis of primary and secondary sources, and the construction of historical arguments.
Teaching responsibilities will include five sections with at least two preparations. Instructors should be able and willing to teach grades 7-12. We seek a department member with experience teaching both majority world (non-western) and western history; experience teaching historical thinking skills as well as analytical, argument-driven writing also is required. Content expertise that would complement the existing strengths of department faculty is a plus.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Teach five sections of History across middle and upper school
● Design and coordinate curriculum with other members of the department and within teaching teams for each assigned course and liaise with other departments and centers to build cross-disciplinary experiences
● Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and communicate with parents and Division teams regarding student progress
● Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in history pedagogy by applying it in the classroom and sharing it with teachers on a departmental and school-wide basis
● Participate in regular, purposeful pedagogy meetings and professional development sessions
● Participate actively in the life of the school through attendance at events, committee membership, and leadership of extracurricular activities
● Perform other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by the divisional directors
● A Bachelor’s degree in History or a closely related field, advanced degree preferred
● A minimum of three years of full-time experience teaching History, six or more years preferred
● A demonstrable passion for historical thinking and working with young people
● Evidence of significant recent professional development
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred
● Willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
For more information about Windward School, see our website: www.windwardschool.org.
To Apply: All interested candidates should send a resume, three letters of recommendation and a letter of interest via the Application link.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.