Khan Lab School
Web Designer (Remote)
Khan Lab School (KLS) seeks a part-time, fully-remote Web Designer. The goal of the Web Designer is to coordinate, design, and implement a new subdomain website using the Finalsite web manager platform for Khan Lab School’s High School located at the Los Altos Hills Campus.
WHO WE ARE
About Khan Lab School
Khan Lab School (KLS) is a non-profit, mastery-based K-12 school founded by Salman Khan in 2014 to extend Khan Academy’s student-centered philosophy into a physical school environment. Furthering his vision for Khan Academy, Khan wrote and published The One World Schoolhouse, in which he argues for mastery-based, blended, and mixed-age learning coupled with a departure from traditional letter grades. Today the KLS community is bringing that vision to life and also sharing knowledge within education more broadly.
In each academic area at KLS, there is a minimum pace our students must meet, but learning is decoupled from age; the time it takes a student to finish a course will vary but the depth of mastery is constant. We believe that students cannot “master” a course by performing well on one assessment. Instead, students are expected to demonstrate mastery of all skills and content before they can obtain foundational credit, thereby removing “gaps” in their education.
Every student is assigned to a mixed-age cohort, which they can expect to be part of for two to three years. There are currently seven cohorts for students ages 5 to 18+. Students also partner with faculty to explore their passions and deepen their learning. The quality of learning remains high but as a lab school, instructional methods are constantly being reimagined and tested. Learning is supported through weekly advising, real-world application, and a culture that fosters student agency. Faculty and students do not simply adhere to the status quo in education. As a lab school, KLS is a model for innovation in education.
The KLS staff and teachers will represent the diversity of the students we intend to serve. We believe that standard hiring practices disproportionately hurt those most marginalized in society — including but not limited to Black and Indigenous people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women and trans/gender-nonconforming individuals, and LGBTQIA+ individuals. We believe that these communities must be at the center of the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities. Our school’s dedication to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion is clearly reflected in all of our content.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
The Web Designer (Remote) will coordinate, design, and implement a new subdomain website for Khan Lab School’s Los Altos Hills Campus.
This role is not location-bound and will be fully remote. Please note that the hours for this part-time, short-term contract role will fall between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
This is a part-time, short-term role reporting to the Director of Marketing.
Role and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, design, and implement the new KLS High School website at its own subdomain using Finalsite.
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Marketing, the Executive Director, Los Altos Hills Campus (High School Division), and the KLS Team to create the High School’s subdomain website.
This is your opportunity to:
- Join a creative team of lifelong learners in Silicon Valley
- Contribute to innovative goals at KLS as we develop a new model of education
- Gain immersive experience in a forward-thinking nonprofit
- Help build local, national, and global interest in Khan Lab School through website design
- Use creative thinking and user-centered design to support enrollment goals at Khan Lab School’s new Los Altos Hills Campus.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
Skills and Capabilities
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Preference will be given to candidates who have a degree and/or certification in website design, though all disciplines are highly encouraged to apply
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with experience using the Finalsite website platform for an educational institution
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Excellent visual design skills.
- Up-to-date experience with international web protocols, standards, and technologies.
- Creative and open to new ideas.
- Adaptable and willing to learn new techniques.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Exceptional writing skills required
- Understanding of content management systems
- Understanding of search engine optimization (SEO) principles.
- Communication and organizational skills
- Strong time management skills
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Commitment to continuous improvement and learning new things
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Integrity and a demonstrated interest in bettering our world
- Ability to connect via webcam for Zoom meetings during school hours
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- Experience in a previous job or internship in an education setting
- Experience with project management software (bonus points for experience with Asana)
- Experience working in a multicultural educational environment
- Experience working with elementary, middle, and/or high school students
- Passion for improving the education system
WHAT WE OFFER
Khan Lab School is a community of learners and partners that have a deep commitment to their work. We get things done and believe that in our highly collaborative environment that anything is possible. All of our decisions are made through the lens of what is best for our students. We tackle tough questions without ego, are results oriented, and have high expectations for school and our students.
Khan Lab School offers a stimulating and unique working environment with a competitive salary and the flexibility to work and teach from anywhere. We seek team members who possess a unique skill set because this is a multi-faceted teaching and leadership position. To learn more about Khan Lab School or Khan Academy, please visit our websites.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Great colleagues
- Start Date: By March 10, 2021
- End Date: TBD
- Location: Remote
- Number of Positions to be Filled: 1
- The hours for scheduled meetings will fall between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
- The ideal candidate will be able to commit at least 25 hours each week to the web design project.
To qualify, please provide a resume, a letter of interest, and a link to your portfolio of web design work using the job link on our school’s Careers webpage. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated familiarity with the Sal Khan’s school model outlined in his book The One World Schoolhouse.
Apply at khanlabschool.org/careers (priority deadline: Sunday, February 21).
Khan Lab School is an EOE and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practice.
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment. While this is a fully-remote opportunity, Khan Lab School must follow guidelines set by the California Department of Health for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com