The Nueva School
We seek an experienced high school teacher with expertise in teaching Spanish language and literature. The ideal candidate will also have experience and interest in teaching culture, history, drama, and film as part of the Spanish curriculum. In addition, we seek world language teachers who have experience and enthusiasm in planning and implementing student trips to countries where the language of study is spoken. The candidate will have experience in a variety of modes of teaching and be highly skilled at differentiated instruction. The candidate will have taught several years at the high school and/or university level, and will have knowledge of more than one academic discipline, as well as experience in and passion for building integrated, interdisciplinary programs of study. As we consider teaching candidates, we seek dedicated educators who have an interest in collaborating with our current faculty as partners in the ongoing design and implementation of Nueva’s curriculum and programs.
General Responsibilities for Teachers
- Develop and teach your courses expertly with the highest standards for each student
- Convey enthusiasm for intellectual inquiry and model lifelong learning
- Design instruction that emphasizes critical thinking and real-world problem solving
- Collaborate with colleagues in the development and execution of curriculum
- Create hands-on, inquiry- and project-based learning experiences
- Collaborate effectively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- Model flexibility in implementing best learning practices
- Support the well-being of all students
- Demonstrate interest and ability to serve as an advisor to students, lead student activities, serve as a club advisor, and contribute beyond the classroom to support school programs and activities
- Participate actively in other aspects of the student experience and school functioning: chaperoning trips and events, serving on committees, and developing new programs at the school
- Lead by example in your commitment to Nueva’s mission: “Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the student’s imaginative mind.”
- Demonstrated mastery in area of study and ability to teach within and across academic disciplines
- Bachelor’s and advanced university degree
- Minimum of three years’ teaching experience
- Successful teaching experience in secondary school and/or university
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A desire to integrate curriculum with other subjects and to teach collaboratively
- Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced
- A profound openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as subject area
- Interest in teaching a range of age groups and openness to teaching cross-divisionally at the middle-school level
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, résumé, and the contact information and job title for at least three professional references. To address specific questions, please email Claire Yeo, assistant head of upper school, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nueva’s Upper School
True to Nueva’s founding principles, our Upper School offers opportunities for deep, rigorous learning that includes inquiry-based, interdisciplinary studies as well as mastery of traditional disciplines. We offer accelerated and extended experiences where gifted learners design, discover, reflect, and apply their ideas in practical, real-world contexts. The physical proximity and institutional connections to world-renowned universities, cultural organizations, high-tech companies, healthcare institutions, and the can-do spirit of Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area offer a dynamic entrepreneurial community for collaborative partnerships.
We prepare our graduates to be leaders in their chosen fields, certain of what drives them, and ready to pioneer new paths to success. We have designed a high school that responds to the pressing social, emotional, and learning needs of today’s teens, preparing them to direct their college educations and live well as responsible human beings and global citizens. Nueva students learn to address difficult challenges with optimism and resiliency. Our community is a personal and curricular partnership, where students encourage each other as they, alongside their teachers, continually think, construct, create, and rethink the best ideas and opportunities to explore their own passions and connect deeply with themselves and others.
Nueva’s Upper School opened in August 2013 after many years of discussion and comprehensive study, demographic analysis, feedback from alumni, consultation with educational and industry thought-leaders, and visits to more than 50 model high schools across the country and around the world. A seminal point of validation came from Nueva’s 2011 Presidents’ Roundtable, during which university presidents and college deans from some of the country’s most respected institutions convened at our Hillsborough campus to discuss the future of education and affirmed the need for a new high school model like ours to better prepare students for this new century. The opportunity of a lifetime, to reimagine high school, is now a reality. We welcomed our inaugural ninth-grade class of seventy-seven students in 2013. This year, we have a total of 345 students in ninth through twelfth grades. Our extraordinary faculty models a spirit of deep inquiry and inspires students to be active and passionate learners. Teachers serve as mentors, guides, and partners in the learning process, crafting and facilitating experiences through which students deepen their understanding and build transferable skills.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com