(Full-time beginning August, 2020)
Head-Royce School is seeking a dedicated Upper School English Teacher. We are interested in teachers who are not only excited by the content they teach, but who are also actively engaged in evolving their classroom pedagogy to reflect the needs of 21st Century learners by being culturally responsive in their teaching practice, curriculum, and pedagogy. In addition, we want teachers who are excited to join our community of learners and collaborate with us on meeting our Strategic Plan Goals. Head-Royce teachers participate beyond the classroom as advisors, club leaders, and committee members. The School seeks applicants who have a strong academic background, experience in multicultural education, an understanding of adolescents, and a demonstrated genuine fondness for working with students at this specific age level.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice of culturally responsive teaching and learning.
- Expertise in teaching English – writing, reading, critical thinking
- Collaborative, flexible colleague with upper school teaching experience
- Clear communicator with students, colleagues, and parents
- Demonstrated knowledge of a child’s social/emotional development and developmentally appropriate curriculum for culturally responsive teaching and learning.
- Demonstrated understanding of and curiosity regarding curriculum design, varied pedagogical approaches as well as different styles and types of assessment
- Bachelor’s Degree; Ideal candidates will have an academic background in English
- Knowledge of appropriate use of technology to enhance the learning experience
- Demonstrated desire to teach in the Upper School
- 2-5 years minimum teaching experience
Additional Qualifications we hope to find, but not required:
- Advanced degrees/certification are desirable
Head-Royce School Overview
Located on a 12-acre campus in Oakland, California, Head-Royce is a pre-eminent, co-educational, independent, K-12 day school with a 132-year history. Our mission is to inspire in our students a lifelong love of learning & pursuit of academic excellence, to promote understanding of & respect for diversity that makes our society strong & to encourage active & responsible global citizenship.
Head-Royce enrolls 890 students in the three separate divisions — Lower, Middle & Upper Schools — & provides a dynamic, whole-child education to every student. With our Strategic Plan, Bridge to 2022, the school’s current initiatives include advancing an innovative, student-centered program, promoting an inclusive community, driving deeper civic engagement, sustaining a culture of balance & well-being & carefully stewarding our resources.
Compensation: Competitive among comparable schools
Location: Oakland, California
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree(s) a plus
Start Date: August, 2020
Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest and a current resume. Files should be sent via email to USJobs@headroyce.org with the subject line “US English Teacher.”
Head-Royce School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on age, color, creed, disability, gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, a medical condition including genetic characteristics, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job email your details to USJobs@headroyce.org