Marin Country Day School
Upper School (Grades 5-8) Counselor (Full Time)
Reports to Upper School Division Head
Marin Country Day School seeks a school counselor who is passionate about meeting the needs of preadolescents and adolescents. The school counselor should embody the ideal of the life-long learner and have strong communication and collaboration skills in addition to a background or interest in cultural competency and experience with parent education. Our approach and philosophy centers on collaboration, thoughtful innovation, team building and leveraging diverse and multiple perspectives.
About Marin Country Day School
MCDS is an independent, K-8, co-educational day school enrolling approximately 595 students from across the Bay area, drawing equally from San Francisco and Marin.
Our mission at MCDS is to create an inclusive community of learning that inspires curiosity, empathy, and action.
We actively seek diversity in our administration, faculty and student body. As a school, we affirm that human diversity includes, but is not limited to: age, family structure, gender, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, physical ability, and learning style. As our Statement of Community and Inclusion indicates, “Ours is a Community that would be uncomfortable without diversity and, therefore, has been intentional about creating and nurturing a diverse group of adults and children who share the core values of respect, responsibility and compassion.”
At MCDS, every employee is integral in creating a learning community in which all seek to improve as practitioners, learners and team members, and we support our outstanding faculty and professional staff through our strong professional development program.
- Participate in grade level team meetings, Division, Full Faculty, Deans, and Student Support Services meetings.
- Collaborate with the Lower School Counselor on a consistent basis.
- Provide consultation and input to staff and participate in formulating student action plans.
- Consult with teachers and staff about any student of concern. This includes availability by phone and e-mail on days counselor is not on campus.
- Consult with parents.
- Provide, when appropriate, advice, psycho-education and referrals in the community to parents.
- Provide crisis intervention and brief counseling to students (open door policy and students are welcome to drop in as needed)
- Participate in weekly Student Support Services meetings with Division Head.
- Participate in, lead and co-lead meetings with groups of students as needed.
- Collaborate and maintain contact with student outside service providers as needed (e.g., therapists).
- Observe students in classrooms as needed.
- Participate in planning meetings with parents and staff regarding specific students.
- Lead parent education discussions at Roundtables and help to organize parent education discussions around topics of concern.
- Work closely with class Deans, Upper School Division Head, and SEL Coordinator on developing social and emotional learning program and curriculum.
- Complete recess duties and other duties as assigned.
- Participate in Admission Day and other admission events
- a minimum of three years experience as a school counselor
- Masters Degree required and California licensure preferred (e.g., LMFT, LCSW, LPCC)
- Faculty and Staff of Color Affinity Group called Fusion
- Active SEED (Seeking Educational Equity and Diversity) group
- Strong and supportive professional community with a growth mindset
- Ample opportunities for professional growth and development
MCDS is an equal opportunity employer and promotes the principles and practices of
diversity throughout the school community. Compensation is competitive.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and statement of philosophy to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org