Website The Hamlin School
Credentials: Culinary Arts Degree and at least 5 years of experience
Reports to: Director of Operations
Primary Responsibilities: As a key member of the Hamlin community, the Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director works in collaboration with school leaders and other key employees to promote a culture of health and wellness at Hamlin. The Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director will execute a daily food program that is consistent with the mission and core values of the school and lead a passionate and cohesive team whose goal is to provide simple, nutritious, delicious, and well-prepared lunches and snacks for approximately 440 students and 110 employees. The Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director will design and manage all aspects of the daily food service program as well as occasional catering for large and small meetings and school events.
Hours/Classification: Full-Time; Exempt
The Hamlin School seeks to hire employees who will support and implement the school’s mission and Creed at all times. Hamlin employees are known for being compassionate, collaborative, and dedicated professionals who treat their colleagues and supervisors with respect and who take seriously the daily care of Hamlin students. As such, Hamlin employees pay close attention to the students’ social-emotional well being, their physical and mental health, and their moral development. Hamlin employees are committed to their own personal and professional growth; thus, they pay close attention to the research and innovations that impact their respective fields. All employees are expected to be flexible thinkers and nimble actors in support of the school’s overarching strategic goals and demonstrate a commitment to their colleagues’ success.
Hamlin employees are committed to their own professional growth; as such, they pay close attention to the research and innovations that impact teaching and learning. All employees are expected to be flexible thinkers and nimble actors in support of the school’s overarching strategic goals and daily commitment to academic and ethical excellence.
At The Hamlin School, we are committed to a policy of equal employment for all applicants and employees. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace, we recruit and hire applicants with diverse backgrounds and with professional experience that shows their commitment to K-8 education and to being a contributing member of the community.
The Role of Hamlin’s Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director
We are looking for a people-oriented and experienced professional chef to lead and manage the daily operations of our food program. This chef must be able to successfully transition the food program from its previous model (an outside vendor with its own company values and employees ) to an excellent in-house food program that is fully integrated into the life of the school. 10 years ago, the school decided to make it’s lunch program an integral part of the program, no longer offering the option to students to buy lunch when they wanted but instead providing the same nutritious offerings to all students. The Hamlin community is accustomed to a program that features food that is locally sourced, organic, delicious, and flexible for allergies, vegan/vegetarian palates, and religious restrictions. We are looking to continue that trend of excellence while creating a connection between our food service program to the curriculum.
An Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director at Hamlin must be an exceptional cook in the kitchen and a person of high emotional intelligence outside the kitchen. The effective Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director will take pleasure in preparing the meals and snacks and take even greater delight in feeding the children and adults. The Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director will excel at connecting and working with students (ages 5-15), colleagues, and parent volunteers.
Our food program is not only central to our commitment to health and wellness at Hamlin; the program should also deepen the sense of belonging and inclusivity that is felt on our campus. The Hamlin food program will celebrate the ethnic and religious diversity of the community; our time spent in the dining room should reinforce the simple yet profound goals of learning from each other, respecting and valuing our differences, and building a joyful community. Wellness and belonging should infuse everything that the Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director and the food program staff do and should guide how they set day-to-day priorities for Hamlin’s food program.
This exciting new position is for a proven leader who can help the School develop an excellent food program that is simple, delicious, nutritious, and well-prepared. The food provided should be fresh, organically grown, local, and seasonal.
The Core Responsibilities of the Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director
The Executive Chef and Culinary Services Director will be required to:
- Develop menus for morning snack, school lunch, after school snack, and field trip bagged lunches
- Providing catering services for meetings, events, and gatherings during the school year
- Adhere to all Food Safety Regulations
- Create a staffing plan in partnership with the Chief Financial Officer and Director of Operations
- Manage budget with oversight from the Business Office
- Hire, train, and supervise all kitchen staff
- Monitor food inventory and purchase food
- Ensure quality control
- Ensure cleanliness of the kitchen, serving areas, and storage areas
- Inspect kitchen equipment for functionality and safety, communicating equipment needs in a timely manner
- Ensure that all allergy and dietary restrictions are closely monitored and accommodated each day
- Evaluate food service program to ensure excellence and fiscal responsibility
- Cultural competency– ability to work in a school with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Passionate about food and educating young people about nutrition
- Engaging, friendly, and community-oriented– capable of being the “face” of the Hamlin food program
- Highly organized and strategic thinker– capable of thinking about and designing systems that work
- Ability to embrace and promote the Hamlin Creed and the Hamlin food program values
- Confident and experienced leader who is able to uphold and inspire a team to execute Hamlin’s vision of simple, delicious, nutritious and well-prepared food
- Self-starter who is able to take initiative and build a food program from the ground up
- Highly collaborative and flexible leader who works well with others to achieve a common goal
- Capable of effective collaboration with Hamlin faculty, staff, families, and volunteers
- Effective communicator— with a desire to work with the Director of Communications to provide social media content