Website The Hamlin School
DIRECTOR OF ADMISSION: THE OPPORTUNITY
Reports to: Head of School
Hours/Classification: Full-Time (1.0 FTE); 12 months; Exempt
Salary Range: $150,000 -$200,000 with a generous benefits package
Start Date: July 1, 2024 (or spring 2024, if possible)
Primary Responsibilities: The Director of Admission is a passionate storyteller, a responsible keeper of the school’s core values, and a consummate discerner of people. A key member of the school’s leadership team, the Director of Admission works in close partnership with a wide and varied range of groups within and outside of the school: administrators; two Admission Office professionals; parent ambassadors; staff; faculty; preschool directors and educational access partners (i.e. SMART program) to attract, engage, recruit, enroll, and welcome mission-aligned girls and families to the school. The Director of Admission is a proud and vigilant guard of Hamlin’s reputation, an embodiment of its Creed, and a steward of its relationships locally and nationally.
Primary Sensibilities: The Director of Admission is an authentic, empathetic human being who believes in the power of personalized, high-touch interactions; a warm and engaging leader who is able to connect with people from all walks of life; a highly organized and hardworking team player; a strategic thinker and creative designer of new systems and approaches; a consummate professional who understands the importance of balancing transparency and diplomacy; and an outstanding oral and written communicator. The Director of Admission is, akin to the Head of School, the “face” of the school and plays a central role in shaping school culture and building a diverse and inclusive community.
Expectation of Employee Civility and Commitment: The Hamlin School seeks to hire employees who will support and implement the school’s mission and Creed. Hamlin’s employees are known and appreciated for being compassionate, collaborative, and dedicated professionals who treat their colleagues and supervisors with respect and who take seriously the daily care of Hamlin students. All employees, regardless of their role or title, are mission-driven, in vigorous pursuit of excellence, and focused on student well-being and moral development.
Hamlin employees are committed to their own professional growth; as such, they pay attention to the research and innovations that impact teaching and learning. All employees are expected to be flexible thinkers and nimble actors in support of the school’s strategic goals and daily commitment to academic and ethical excellence.
At The Hamlin School, we are committed to a policy of equal employment for all applicants and employees. As part of our commitment to a diverse and inclusive workplace, we recruit and hire applicants with diverse backgrounds and professional experience that show their commitment to K-8 education and being a contributing member of a learning community.
Specific Areas of Responsibility
- Strategic Thinking and Leadership
- Bring innovative and equity-minded thinking to the design of the admissions process for prospective students and families, balancing the efficiency of Ravenna with Hamlin’s high-touch approach
- Supervise, engage, and support Associate Director of Admission and Admission Assistant
- Organize, lead, and participate in all aspects of the admissions process from inquiry to enrollment
- Serve as a strategic thought partner with the Head of School in managing all aspects of enrollment planning and monitoring the demographic outlook in a highly competitive landscape
- Design and implement marketing and recruitment strategies to increase diversity and depth in the admissions pool
- Join thought leaders and school partners to tell the Hamlin story effectively and enthusiastically, communicating the powerful and enduring impact of a Hamlin education
- Relationship Building
- Cultivate and maintain partnerships with preschool directors, sending elementary schools, and educational access organizations (i.e. SMART, Breakthrough)
- Design and execute Learn About Hamlin as the school’s primary admissions event, along with other key events (i.e. weekday tours, Affording Hamlin workshops, affinity group admissions gatherings)
- Interview prospective parents to gauge interest and to determine mission alignment
- Develop and execute spring orientations for newly admitted students and parents
- Represent Hamlin at recruitment fairs in the Bay Area
- Attend national conferences to remain knowledgeable about enrollment management and the competitive admissions landscape for girls’ schools
- Planning and Preparation
- Recruit, inspire, and prepare parent ambassadors to support admissions tours and events
- Recruit and train admissions screeners for their 1:1 work with Kindergarten applicants
- Train and support Grade 8 students in their roles as tour guides
- Design and edit marketing and outreach materials in partnership with the Head of School and Director of Communication
- Ensure that all aspects of the admissions process are aligned with the Creed and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- Decision-Making, Data Analysis and Reporting
- Read all admissions applications and make decisions in partnership with key administrators
- Track and analyze admissions data in the current season, noting trends and patterns
- Use admissions and enrollment data over time to identify trends, track progress to goals, and inform planning and decision making
- Optimize the technical capabilities of data management systems (Ravenna; Blackbaud)
- Review screening protocols and student assessment tools to ensure high quality and effectiveness
- Report annually to the Board of Trustees on admission season outcomes and themes
- Report annually to the professional community and the alumni community (upon request)
- General Areas of Responsibility
- Serve as a member of the school’s leadership team
- Serve as a member of the Financial Assistance Committee
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate Associate Director of Admission and Admission Assistant
- Provide duty coverage/supervision at all-school community events
- Attend board meetings upon request from the Head of School
- Other duties as needed
- Desired Professional Experience and Personal Attributes
- Passionate about all-girls schools and able to articulate their value proposition
- High level of cultural humility and deep commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion both in the approach to one’s work and in building relationships with internal and external partners
- Experience working in settings where equity, diversity, inclusion, justice and belonging are core values
- Outstanding communication skills (particularly listening with empathy) and a proven track record of being an effective manager and community builder across multiple constituencies
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills, having the ability to hold an inspiring vision while also paying close attention to important details
- Keen understanding of best practices in independent school admissions and trends in girls’ schools
- Willingness to take risks and explore new strategies in communications, operations, and technology
- A leadership style characterized by kindness, authenticity, integrity, discretion, self-awareness, humor, flexibility, diplomacy, and trust
- Ability to engage in and facilitate difficult and/or delicate conversations
- Self-confidence and the ability to join a high-performing, hardworking team of administrators
- Five or more years of admissions and/or talent recruitment experience
- Working knowledge of Ravenna preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Spanish proficiency or fluency (a plus!)
Candidates should review the job description and prospectus carefully and indicate their interest in the role by submitting a thoughtful cover letter, resumé, and written reflection (500 words maximum).
The written reflection should illuminate two essential questions: 1) What personal strengths and/or professional experiences have prepared you for success as Hamlin’s next Director of Admission? 2) In what area(s) would you need colleagues to support or complement your leadership?
To apply for this job please visit hamlinschool.bamboohr.com.