The Crowden School and Music Center is seeking a Director of Finance and Human Resources to start in January 2023.
Crowden is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We value an inclusive community of students, parents, faculty and staff, and supporters, celebrating our many differences and uniting in our shared love of music of all kinds and origins. Crowden does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Crowden Music Center in Berkeley is a non-profit organization where students come to receive a world-class education with music at its core. Founded in 1983 by Scottish violinist Anne Crowden, today Crowden serves an annual audience of 12,000 with a rich array of workshops, events, and concerts. Each year, more than 1,600 music students of all ages and levels of ability participate in Crowden’s private lessons, music classes, ensembles, and summer programs for the general community. Crowden’s flagship program is The Crowden School, a coeducational day school for grades three through eight that provides a transformative education with chamber music at the heart. Crowden’s distinctive educational offerings also include the John Adams Young Composers Program and renowned chamber music programs for both youth and adults. In addition, Crowden is an active center for music rehearsals, performances, and recitals for students and professional musicians. It plays an important role in music education in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of Finance and Human Resources oversees the Center’s $3.5 million operating budget. The Director works closely with the Chief Operating Officer, the Board of Trustees and the senior leadership team to provide leadership of the business operations of the school in addition to managing human resources and risk management functions.
The Director of Finance and Human Resources supervises a full-time Staff Accountant.
- Conduct all aspects of Crowden’s day-to-day business operations, including payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable, cash management, financial accounting, contract management, and purchasing functions.
- Direct, develop and manage the annual operating budget. Plan and prepare forecasts of the financial state of the Center.
- Oversee maintenance of accounting systems providing adequate controls over revenues, expenses, assets, and liabilities, and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles as applicable to 501(c)3 organizations.
- Oversee the accounting function; assure the completion of quarterly and annual closing and report preparation.
- Serve as a primary staff liaison to the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees, the Audit Committee (when constituted) and the Board Treasurer.
- Direct and prepare budgets, review budget proposals, and prepare necessary supporting documentation and justification for grant/contract proposals. Prepare financial reports for funding sources as needed.
- Monitor short and long term financial performance and provide the Chief Operating Officer and staff members with timely, complete and accurate financial reports in accordance with agreed upon and developed information requirements.
- Manage all banking and investment accounts, including endowments.
- Guide the preparation for and the completion of the annual independent audit or financial review, 990 Informational Return and annual external reporting processes.
- Offer financial planning/analysis and/or coaching/training as needed in support of the activities of the Board of Trustees, the Chief Operating Officer, and other staff members.
- Participate in long-range planning for the organization.
- Assure compliance with all regulatory requirements pertaining to financial operations, taxation, corporate reporting, employee benefits, insurance, workplace conditions, and related matters.
- Oversee human resources management for the organization, including payroll processing, appropriate maintenance of personnel files, benefits and compensation, updating personnel policies as needed, and ensuring organization is in compliance with organizational policies as well as all current federal, state and local employment laws. Coordinate hiring and onboarding processes for all employees.
- Directly supervise staff accountant. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- At least five years experience in senior financial positions with nonprofit organizations.
- Extensive experience working with nonprofits
- Knowledge of fund accounting, GAAP and FASB requirements as applied to not-for-profit organizations, as well as California Charity Integrity Act and other government regulations specific to nonprofits.
- Degree in accounting or related finance discipline; CPA or MBA preferred.
- Demonstrable experience in Microsoft Office applications required.
- Experience with Quickbooks and other accounting software.
- Experience with human resources management and employment law compliance.
- Ability to work with and communicate effectively with diverse constituencies including staff at all levels, board members, donors, parents and students.
- Ability to work enthusiastically as part of a team.
- Ability to supervise, manage and motivate staff.
- Ability to resolve complex issues relating to broad financial and administrative challenges.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities and functions.
- Personal alignment with The Crowden Music Center’s mission and values.
COMPENSATION: $100K per year
Send cover letter and resume to:
Crowden Music Center
1475 Rose Street
Berkeley, CA 94702
matherton at crowden.org
No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com