The Branson School
JOB TITLE: Payroll Accountant and Accounts Payable Specialist
POSITION STATUS: 40 hours per week. Salaried, exempt, year-long position.
REPORTS TO: Director of Finance
ORGANIZATION: The Branson School is a coeducational, college-preparatory day school of 320 students, grades 9-12, located in Marin County, California. Branson prides itself on fostering nurturing relationships with students while maintaining high academic standards. The faculty values collaboration, professional development, reflection, and continual exploration of good teaching. Branson teachers work in a beautiful, well-resourced environment with dedicated students. The faculty is widely regarded as outstanding and there exists in the faculty an admirable esprit de corps and a positive attitude about their work and their relationship with students.
MISSION STATEMENT: Branson develops students who make a positive impact in the world by leading lives of integrity, purpose, learning, and joy.
DIVERSITY MISSION STATEMENT: Branson believes that diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to create a truly excellent learning environment and a vibrant, caring community. We aspire to have every member of the Branson community feel a deep sense of belonging and inclusion.
POSITION SUMMARY: The role of the Payroll Accountant and AP Specialist is to be responsible and accountable for managing the processing of the bi-weekly payroll ensuring compliance with applicable federal and state payroll regulations, tax filing deadlines and customer support requirements. This position is responsible for partnering closely with internal stakeholders including Finance/Accounting, HR and most importantly, our employees to disseminate payroll and benefit information accurately and according to schedule.
- Fully responsible for all aspects of the payroll process and liaising with payroll providers, benefits brokers and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, employee benefits, special deductions, mandated benefits, taxes, garnishments and other items that affect net pay and/or company liability
- Manage the administration of payroll and benefits (Including programs such as retirement plan (403B), flexible spending, life, health, dental and disability insurances, vacation, sick leave, leave of absence, workers compensation, FMLA and employee assistance.)
- Assist with the onboarding administration process including proper completion and filing of payroll and benefit information and all necessary paperwork
- Manage open enrollment process. Ensure all benefit changes are completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure pension contributions are distributed in a timely manner in accordance with federal requirements
- Reconcile benefit invoices against payroll system data and processes benefit payments in accordance with federal requirements (retirement plan remittances) and vendor due dates
- Payroll audit and compliance, including quarterly taxes, garnishments, pension plan audit, unclaimed/cancelled checks, workers compensation and corporate audits
- Maintain and implement policies and standard operating procedures to ensure compliance and internal controls.
- Possess subject matter expertise of federal, state and local payroll and tax laws and the HRIS, Paycom
- Prepare journal entries for semimonthly payroll and reconcile quarterly 941’s to trial balance
- Work with benefits brokers, workers compensation auditors, financial auditors and 403b auditors, as needed
- Maintain employee confidence and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Represent the Branson School in a professional manner and provide excellent customer service
- Perform special projects and other related duties as required
- Data entry for all invoices and expense reimbursements, responsible for managing AP Aging report, follow-up with vendors on outstanding checklist, and prepare month-end balance sheet reconciliations
- Maintain Professional Development records and reconcile against employee reimbursement requests
- Process vendor setup, maintain vendor records, verify W-9’s are current and on file, process annual 1099’s, ensure vendor payment preference reconciles to Wells Fargo online system
- Upload weekly check-run into Wells Fargo’s Payment Manager Tool and in-house check-runs
- Ensure compliance with internal controls and Business Office policies
- Reconcile quarterly Sale Tax submissions
- Submit monthly budget reports to budget managers and prepare all adjustments requested in our accounting system, Sage 100
- Assist Business Office and external auditors with ad hoc reports and projects
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor Degree or Equivalent in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
- 5+ years of accounting and payroll experience required; non-profit sector preferred
- 2-3 years hands on functional Payroll experience OR equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of US Federal, State and local payroll tax laws.
- Strong working knowledge of ERISA, HIPPA, FMLA, Workers’ Compensation, FLSA, and ADA.
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills, as well as attention to detail and strong analytical problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate information clearly written and oral
- Excellent knowledge of Payroll/HRIS systems
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office especially Excel and Word
- Ability and desire to work independently and as a team member with the community and other employees
- Positive, upbeat and enthusiastic about working in a non-profit environment
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Branson is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants, employees, volunteers and interns, and the School makes decisions based on the merits of each candidate. Branson prohibits discrimination based on an individual’s race, color, religion (including all aspects of religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality) national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status or registered domestic partner status, uniformed service member or veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, or any other basis protected by law. The School will afford equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants, employees, volunteers, and interns as to all terms and conditions of employment, including, without limitation, compensation, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, and termination.
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter to Michelle Jones, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org