Website The Bay School of SF
Job announcement: Mathematics Teacher
Reports to: Department Chair and Dean of Academics and Innovation
Status: Full or Part time, Exempt, Academic Year
Start date: November 1, 2022 and February 2023
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college-preparatory high school committed to providing its students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our staff and faculty members (“staffulty”) foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue, and good humor as well as a commitment to equity and inclusion within Bay and beyond. Bay students have been described as engaged and thoughtful self-advocates who value community and courage. Please visit our precepts and academics pages to learn more about our school.
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a staffulty and student body that reflect the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation and student-centered education to apply. We encourage BIPOC candidates to apply.
The Bay School is conducting school in-person. All Bay School employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with an approved vaccine prior to starting work unless exempted from an immunization in accordance with law, and provide documentation confirming such immunization and/or exemption.
We do not sponsor work visas.
The Bay School math program employs a pedagogical approach that incorporates inquiry-based practices and real-world applications. Block periods allow students to delve deeply into rich problem and inquiry-based learning across all courses. Our math teachers have a strong commitment to innovative curricular design, progressive pedagogy, and social justice–all in service of student learning and growth. Teachers of our core courses have a common prep block and use it to work collaboratively to ensure alignment of curriculum between sections/teachers.
We have an immediate need (November 1 start) for a full time math instructor to complete the semester (ending December 16, 2022) with four math courses. We would be interested in applicants looking for full or part time work that can begin November 1. The position could extend into the second semester which runs from February 2, 2023 to May 19, 2023. The Bay School has a rotating block schedule.
In addition to class preparation and classroom teaching, math teachers are responsible for:
- collaborative curricular development and alignment
- designing skills-based formative and summative assessments
- timely grading and feedback
- regular communication with students, guardians, and advisors regarding student progress
- one-on-one student meetings as needed
- weekly faculty and course team meetings
All teaching staffulty are expected to support the well-being of our community and the growth of individual students. This includes attending Morning Meeting three days a week and staffulty or department meetings on Thursday afternoons.
The ideal candidate
- finds resonance with The Bay School mission and philosophy;
- demonstrates belonging, equity, and anti-racism in their teaching practice by utilizing anti-bias frameworks and culturally responsive pedagogy;
- Is comfortable teaching various levels of high school math particularly foundational courses;
- values individual learning profiles by teaching in multiple modalities and offering differentiated instruction;
- employs and is excited by student-centered teaching strategies (project-based, place-based, problem-based, and experiential learning);
- has experience teaching secondary education and brings a diversity of teaching and life experiences to their work;
- values collaboration, teamwork, and feedback as a part of professional growth;
- commits to innovation, professional development, and reinvention;
- is curious and resourceful;
- enjoys working with and inspiring high-school learners in all areas of school life.
The school offers a salary commensurate with experience, and a strong benefits package for long term employees working at least 60% of full time.
Please review our website (www.bayschoolsf.org) to familiarize yourself with our school, the mathematics curriculum, and our community. If interested in the position, please send all of the items below to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: MATH22.
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position as well as how you anticipate contributing to the school and to the mathematics team.
- A list of references–minimum of 3, including a current supervisor, departmental colleague, and colleague outside of your department.