Website The Athenian School
The Athenian School
JOB TITLE: Upper School Mathematics Teacher, Full time
REPORTS TO: Upper School Mathematics Department Chair
JOB STATUS: FLSA Status: Exempt
The Athenian School is an independent college preparatory boarding and day school that serves students in grades 6 – 12, from throughout the East Bay, California, the US and the world. Since our founding, we have been dedicated to educating students through experiential, collaborative and interdisciplinary learning. We foster critical thinking and value reasoned discourse, mutual respect, and social justice. Please read through our site to learn more about our community. We look forward to meeting you as you consider Athenian!
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaboratively generate and gather tools to help students develop mathematical habits of mind and learn the specific skills necessary to express them
- Teach 4 year-long courses, usually covering 2-3 different subject levels (Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, Statistics, and/or Financial Math)
- Supports department curricular objectives, which are overseen by Department Chairs and Assistant Head/Head of Upper School.
- Serve as an advisor to Upper School students; lead weekly advisory group meetings and attend all morning meetings.
- Evaluate students’ progress in progress reports, formal grade reports, parent-student conferences, and informal communications, in person and via email.
- Participate in March Term, the scope of which is determined by the Dean of Experiential Education.
- Attend all Upper School faculty meetings, department meetings, and all-school meetings, including retreats and in-service days.
- Participate in Orientation, Back to School Night, Fall Conferences, Open Houses, and Graduation.
- Participate in activities that support the well-being of the school as a whole, such as committee work, admissions, mentoring, accreditation, and professional development programs.
- CPR / AED trained and certified – must have up-to-date certifications in both cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and proper operation of a defibrillator (AED).
All faculty are expected to participate in community life beyond the classroom. This includes some equitable combination of residential, social and community engagement responsibilities. The specifics of these assignments will be identified with individual faculty and the Assistant Head/Head of Upper School and will include some combination of boarding student interaction, dance/event supervision, class/community service/club advisory.
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively
- A growth mindset, i.e. openness to feedback, desire for constant improvement of teaching practices, model of lifelong learning
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics or related field and at least 3 years teaching experience in a high school mathematics classroom is required
- Demonstrated commitment to the Athenian School’s ideals: Education for democracy, equity and inclusion, community service, multiculturalism, and environmental stewardship
- Experience and interest in designing interdisciplinary, inquiry-based, units
- Experience and interest in designing units using the Understanding by Design curriculum design framework
BENEFITS, COMPENSATION, PROFESSIONAL GROWTH & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Athenian provides excellent benefits and salaries are competitive and commensurate with work experience and education. Community members enjoy meals on campus and use of athletics facilities, including a pool, gym and fitness center.
All employees participate in school wide professional development, and have the opportunity to pursue a range of additional professional growth opportunities. These include, but are not limited to, funded participation in professional conferences and continuing education opportunities. Athenian provides needed training for CPR/AED certification.
All employees are expected to attend all-school functions relevant to their role and to participate in supporting the student experience with other school duties as requested by their direct supervisor.
NON DISCRIMINATION COMMITMENT
The Athenian School is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to basing judgments concerning the employment of individuals upon their qualifications and abilities. The School is firmly committed to equal employment and advancement opportunities for all employees and applicants in all areas of employment. The School does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic characteristic or genetic information, physical or mental disability, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
SCOPE OF EXPECTATIONS
The essential functions and basic skills have been included in this description. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as appropriate. The school may also change the manner and format of its educational program, including but not limited to, moving to a virtual format, distance/remote learning, or any other format or manner. Your place of employment shall be the school’s campus, unless otherwise directed or authorized by the school.
To apply, please visit the Athenian Career web page — https://www.athenian.org/about/get-involved/careers
Please send a letter of interest, current resume, and three references. Please also include the particular source through which you learned about this position: website, referral organization, etc.