The Athenian School
Middle School Dean of Students
Expected Beginning Date | July 1, 2021
Application Deadline | February 19, 2021
The Middle School Dean of Students is a school leader whose primary responsibility is to ensure the well-being and emotional growth of Athenian Middle School students. This includes, broadly, overseeing all aspects of student life in the Middle School and working collaboratively with the Assistant Head/Head of Middle School, Director of Learning Services, Middle School counselor and Middle School faculty. The person in this position will be an exemplary educator and a flexible and positive collaborator who has prior experience working with Middle School students.
- Oversee and implement:
- all student activities including orientation, special events, and class trips
- student behavior expectations, discipline process, and annual Student Handbook review and revision
- Middle School advisory program
- student health and wellness curriculum and programs
- student academic progress
- all phases of student safety programs and procedures, risk management for class trips
- Teach one academic class or elective classes, as determined by the Assistant Head/Head of Middle School
- Prepare and publish schedule of courses and class rosters
- Manage Student Information System, especially regarding published report cards
- Serve on the following committees:
- Teaching and Learning Committee
- Middle School Admission Committee
- Middle School Student Support Team
- Risk Management Committee
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching (minimum five years)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated commitment to education for democracy, justice, equity, inclusion, community service, and environmental stewardship
- Experience in developing programming for student life
- Energy and enthusiasm for young adolescents, a collaborative spirit, and sense of humor
- Ability to collaborate effectively with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to synthesize information and communicate effectively in written and oral formats
- Superb organizational skills
- Teaching at the Middle School level
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Teaching credential
The Athenian School is a distinctive independent school that prepares its students for college and for lives of meaning and purpose. Athenian encourages students to become life-long learners and infuses them with confidence, independence, personal responsibility and a sense of community. Enrollment in grades 6-12 is 515 students, including 59 boarding students, 50 of whom are international students. We ask that applicants take time to read about Athenian’s history and philosophy (visit our website: www.athenian.org).
Every employee is an Athenian community member, and as such, embraces the cornerstones of Athenian’s philosophy: respect; open, direct communication; honesty; fairness; responsibility; and dedication to the students in their intellectual and personal growth. Additionally, active support for environmental conservation, international understanding, equity, inclusion, justice, participatory government, outdoor education, and service is essential. Cultural competence is an expectation of employment for all professional staff at Athenian. As a school that from its founding has valued the worth and integrity of each individual, we are particularly interested in candidates with a proven commitment to teaching and working in a diverse, multicultural setting.
Athenian School strives to attract and retain a faculty and staff of the highest caliber. We have a unique community here, filled with many differing opinions, backgrounds, ideologies and experiences. We have students from all over the globe. We have many types of families. We have many faiths and those who are non-observant. We represent all income levels. What we share is a belief in Athenian’s mission. By embracing diversity in all forms — gender and gender identity, sexuality, faith, nationality, race, ethnicity, socio-economic status — we encourage students to take intellectual risks, to challenge their own assumptions and to learn to work collaboratively as global citizens and advocates for positive change.
The Athenian School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, faith, sex, gender or gender expression, age, ability, sexual orientation, familial or marital status. The Athenian School is actively seeking to create a more culturally diverse school community and as such, we encourage people of color and members of the LGBTIQ community to apply.
Athenian’s salary and benefits are competitive and include medical, vision, and dental insurance, a retirement plan, a smoke-free environment, and a daily prepared lunch.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice:
Equity, inclusion and diversity are much more than social principles at Athenian; they are educational imperatives. Upholding them is at the core of Athenian’s philosophy and a necessary precursor to meeting our mission goal of graduating culturally competent, global citizens who enter the world as community builders. Therefore, Athenian counts on its students, families faculty, staff, and board members to support this ideal and respect the diversity of our community of varied race, national and/or ethnic origin, socioeconomic class, faith, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. Required course work, all-school activities, student clubs and co-curricular programs advance equity, inclusion diversity, and social justice at Athenian. Athenian is committed to upholding and protecting the dignity and worth of all people, recognizing everyone’s shared humanity.
Please send a letter of interest, current resume, and three references to email@example.com
Address your letter of interest to Lauren Railey, Assistant Head/Head of Middle School
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org