Math Specialist – Teacher of Advanced Math for Elementary and Middle School Students
Are you an experienced, imaginative, and collaborative educator who believes in progressive gifted education? Do you enjoy creating meaningful learning experiences, and being part of a diverse supportive and talented community? If so, please consider joining our team at Tessellations. We are currently accepting applications for a part-time Math Specialist position to work with elementary students at advanced math levels, such as Algebra 2. Successful applicants start in fall 2024-2025, or earlier if you are available. Competitive salary commensurate with experience available, with the potential of growth over time.
Tessellations is a progressive K-8 non-profit school for gifted learners based in Cupertino, CA. Our mission is to provide challenging experiential education that recognizes and nurtures the individual strengths of gifted learners, empowering them to confidently express who they are and pursue a meaningful life. At Tessellations, community is a core value, as it is the reason our small and mighty school was able to form and thrive despite the global pandemic. Our team consists of passionate, qualified and dedicated staff from diverse backgrounds and includes nationally renowned gifted experts. Our first year was online only. In our second year, we quadrupled in size, and we also added our Nature Campus. We’re in our fourth year with excellent staff and student retention, and extremely high family satisfaction. We moved to a larger campus in order to house our growing population, and in Fall 2024 we will launch our high school.
If you join our team you will help us grow our program and continue designing and delivering a rich, immersive learning experience. You will be heard, respected, and celebrated for your talents and efforts. You will work with students who love to learn, engaged parents who are grateful for your work, and supportive colleagues that will help bring out your best.
- Teach two math classes daily (Monday through Friday), approximately 15-20 hours per week.
- Teach advanced mathematics (such as Algebra 2) to students in grades 4 and up.
- Create and foster a safe and supportive learning environment where all students are heard, respected, and engaged.
- Use curriculum as a backbone to guide planning of Math instruction
- Implement lessons, activities, and instruction while adapting to students’ intellectual, physical, and social-emotional needs.
- Maintain organizational systems in physical and digital space
- Regularly use and maintain documentation of multiple forms of assessment to gauge student learning and inform next steps in teaching
- Prepare progress reports and report cards
- Ongoing communication with families around student strengths and areas of growth and classroom activities.
- Attend family-teacher meetings as scheduled and as needed to support student learning
- Prior elementary/middle/high school math teaching experience
- Experience teaching high-level math such as Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and/or Statistics
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Social-emotional teaching experience
- A problem-solving approach to mathematics
- Familiarity with and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion practices
- Openness and flexibility in designing improved learning experiences
- Values collegial collaboration and individual improvement
- Enthusiastic life-long learner
- Passing a criminal background check upon hire
- Proficiency with technology (GSuite in particular)
- Experience teaching gifted learners
- Experience with Art of Problem Solving materials
- Experience facilitating math circles
Salary range: $47 – 60 per hour
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about our school, visit http://www.tessellations.school.
Tessellations is an Equal Opportunity Employer — we do not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, sex, or reproductive health decision making.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com