Redwood Day School
Redwood Day is a vibrant K-8 school with over 400 students and 85+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
Temporary Teaching Assistant Job Description
Redwood Day is modifying its operations in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the guidelines set forth by the Alameda County Public Health Department, the Alameda County Office of Education and the California Public Health Department. To properly implement appropriate social distancing measures, Redwood Day is seeking to fill several Temporary Teaching Assistant positions. Temporary Teaching Assistants will remain in place until the pandemic subsides significantly enough to reduce or eliminate the operational requirements necessary to adhere to the recommendations as outlined by the agencies listed above.
Temporary Teaching Assistants will be assigned to any grade level, K-8, as needed. Upon initial assignment, a Temporary Teaching Assistant will remain assigned to the grade level “pod/bubble” until social distancing is no longer required or as otherwise determined by the Lower School and/or Middle School Directors. The Temporary Teaching Assistant position is intended to be, as the title implies, a temporary position. The position will no longer exist when the pandemic subsides and social distancing is no longer required.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Supervise a “pod/bubble” of up to 15 students, socially distanced, in a classroom setting alone, sometimes with another Year 1 or Year 2 Teaching Assistant, or sometimes with a Lower School or Middle School Core/Specialist Teacher
- When supervising students alone or with another adult present, assist students with learning by supporting classroom instruction, either in-person or live-streamed from another classroom location on campus
- Supervise a “pod/bubble” of up to 15 students at recess, lunch and other breaks throughout the day
- Supervise students for morning care (8:00–9:30 a.m.) as needed/required
- Supervise students for after school care through 4:30 p.m. as needed/required
- Ensure the safety and hygiene of students
- Additional duties as assigned
- Assist with all tasks, at the direction of the mentor teacher, related to implementation of Redwood Day’s Distance Learning Program should Alameda County enact a Shelter in Place order; if/when students are engaged in Distance Learning as required by a Shelter in Place order, Temporary Teaching Assistants will continue to assist the Core and/or Specialist Teachers. Standard hours may be reduced if Redwood Day’s Distance Learning Program is implemented or suspended with 30 calendar days notice.
Schedule and Hours
New Employe Orientation is scheduled for Friday, August 7, 2020. All faculty and staff, including Temporary Teaching Assistants will begin work on Monday, August 10, 2020. Daily hours are Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Wed 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Desired Qualifications and Traits
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Commitment to working in a diverse learning environment that necessitates flexibility, professional behavior, a positive attitude, and a desire to enhance professional growth
- Proficient in and/or familiar with classroom technologies including but not limited to: Google Apps for Education, Google Classroom for K-5, IXL, Raz Kids, Lexia, Typing Pal
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with students ages 5-14
The pay for this position will be $22.26 per hour. The position is not benefits eligible and will be compensated through a 3rd party staffing agency.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with federal and state laws. Employment at Redwood Day is “at-will”. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers are contingent on passing a background check and TB assessment.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, and physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
Authorized Employment Status
As required by federal law, all offers of employment are contingent on verification of an applicant or employee’s authorization for lawful employment in the United States at the start of their employment. Please note, the School does not sponsor applicants for employment-related visas.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com