The Bay School of San Francisco
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Teaching Assistant
Reports to: Dean of Faculty
Status: Full-time (100% FTE) or Part-time (40-60%) FTE; Non-Exempt; Temporary employee.
Position term: January 4-April 23, 2021 (possible later start date and possible extension through mid-June)
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School of San Francisco is a leader in innovative, student-centered secondary education, providing its students with a challenging, interdisciplinary program and a collaborative, supportive community. Our flexible, open-minded faculty and staff members foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, mindfulness, and respect for diversity. As co-builders of an innovative high school, faculty and staff contribute to a distinctively positive culture.
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of SOGIE (sexual orientation/gender identity expression), race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty, staff, and student body that reflects the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation, and student-centered education to apply. As you learn more about Bay, check out our mission, Precepts, and our most recent programmatic launch: Bay Immersives (#1course3weeks).
The Bay School plans to develop a hybrid model of school life using a blend of in-person and virtual experiences to be used during the COVID-19 pandemic (when permitted by SFDPH). We are looking for multi-talented people to work in person at the school in a variety of ways including but not limited to:
- supporting classroom instruction
- assisting in community events
- aiding athletic department members in conducting physical activities
- supporting students in adhering to COVID-19 related protocols
The ideal candidate
- finds resonance with The Bay School mission and philosophy;
- has experience teaching or working with adolescents in a learning environment;
- centers belonging and equity in their work with adolescents;
- enjoys interacting positively with high school students and can supervise this age group effectively;
- can learn to successfully operate classroom technology tools;
- has basic technical proficiency: experience with interactive platforms like Zoom, gmail, Jamboard, Kahoot, etc. is preferred;
- follows and models all campus health and safety protocols, including regular testing, wearing a mask, maintaining social distance and frequent hand washing;
- attends training sessions
May have all or some of the following duties:
- collaborating with lead teachers to coordinate lessons;
- working with teachers to set up/take down/clean equipment or materials in the classroom; monitors safety in the classroom when equipment is in use;
- remaining with students in the classroom during the entire class period;
- providing guidance to individual students in the classroom (either indoors or outdoors);
- working with students in the classroom in response to the lead teacher’s instructions;
- facilitating class discussions among students (in person and remote) by managing the class microphone system;
- supervising students on their way in and out of the classroom and throughout the class period to ensure that they are maintaining social distancing rules;
- reminings students to clean table surfaces before leaving;
- serving as roving monitors of hallways and lunch areas with the primary goal of ensuring students are following physical distancing, mask wearing and other protocols;
- supporting the Student Life office in creating, participating in and leading class-wide community building activities;
- serving as study hall monitors;
- serving as roving monitors of hallways and lunch areas with the primary goal of ensuring students are following physical distancing, mask and other protocols;
- helping with check in of students at the beginning of the school day.
Although Teaching Assistants will be needed for the days when our hybrid model is active, the number of hours worked per day and week will depend on a candidate’s availability and the school’s needs. School hours run Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Candidates who are comfortable with a flexible and potentially-shifting schedule will be best for these roles.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Typical working conditions adhere to San Francisco Department of Health guidelines for reopening school, including mandatory mask wearing.
- Occasional outdoor teaching.
- Equipment used: Laptop computer, classroom microphone and Apple TV, printer/ copy machine, lab equipment including chemicals.
- Essential physical tasks: Some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant computer work, including video conferencing. This job requires sitting, walking, and standing throughout the work period/shift.
- High school diploma or equivalent. (Some college preferred.)
- Must undergo a fingerprint background check and a Tuberculosis risk assessment pre-employment.
- Must undergo COVID-19 test to begin employment and on a regular basis while working at The Bay School.
- Must be able to use a laptop computer (provided by the school).
Compensation: $18-$30 an hour dependent on assigned duties and required skillset. This position does not offer benefits.
Please review our website (www.bayschoolsf.org) to familiarize yourself with our school. If interested in the position, please send all of the items below to: email@example.com, subject line: TA 2021. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
1) Cover letter describing your interest in working with high school students, interest in The Bay School and any specific content expertise or areas of interest (i.e. humanities, physics, Spanish, Mandarin, painting, coaching, community activities, etc.).
3) Reference list with contact information; the list should include 3-5 references, including: current supervisor (or mentor teacher), one colleague/ peer that can speak to your experience in working with high school students.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org