Website St. Matthew's Episcopal Day School
Community. Confidence. Character. Leadership.
St. Matthew seeks a Mathematics Specialist who will lead efforts to assess and enhance all aspects of the school’s mathematics program to ensure effective math instruction and a high-quality math experience for all students. The Specialist must exhibit personal interest and enthusiasm for the teaching of mathematics and has the capacity to ignite and sustain teachers’ interest in developing a joy for mathematics learning in their students.
The Math Specialist remain will attune to current research related to elementary and middle school math instruction. Specifically, the Specialist must be alert to advances in understanding the intersection between children’s developmental capacities and math teaching strategies. The Specialist will actively investigate and consider new ideas to improve mathematics teaching and learning in an equitable classroom environment.
This position supports all teachers by modeling instructional strategies and lessons and guiding the development of the school’s math curriculum. The Specialist will be responsible for advancing the faculty’s capacity to differentiate instructional strategies and to advance each teacher’s ability to support all students. The Specialist will also be responsible for training all new faculty who have responsibility for math instruction.
This position is a full-time, 10-month position with the additional expectation that the Specialist will provide two weeks of summer professional development for St. Matthew’s faculty.
- Lead a sustained focus on the school-wide math curriculum to ensure that the program is meeting expected outcomes in the development of students’ math skills and the coverage of mathematical content at each grade level.
- Guide and direct the classroom teachers in the implementation of the PK-8th grade math curriculum.
- Provide on-going professional development for all math teachers in the school including designing and implementing a two-week summer math workshop for St. Matthew’s faculty and/or PK-8th grade math instructors from other independent and public schools.
- Facilitate the assessment and analysis of student data to guide instruction and ensure that each child is progressing in his or her math knowledge
- Advise teachers on instructional strategies that support students who have been identified as needing a more challenging mathematics curriculum.
- In consultation with the division director and learning specialists in Lower and Middle School, assist in developing strategies for students who need support in math learning.
- Regularly meet with Lower School grade-level teaching teams and Middle School math teachers to review students’ progress in mathematics.
- Research and introduce teachers to technological resources to improve mathematics teaching and learning.
- Stay attuned to best practices in elementary and middle school math instruction by networking with math leaders in other PK-8th grade schools.
- Lead the annual work to document the school-wide math curriculum to ensure that changes are codified and that new hires are able to efficiently embrace and enact the portion of the math program they are responsible for.
- Design and implement after-school math enrichment programs including programs that will provide St. Matthew’s students with opportunities to compete in area math competitions like Math Counts or Math Olympiad.
- Design and implement opportunities for parent education related to St. Matthew’s math program.
- Perform additional responsibilities or duties requested by the academic administration that supports the strategic goals and mission of the St. Matthew’s Episcopal Day School.
- Undergraduate degree
- Masters degree
- Extensive classroom teaching experience in math including experience with teaching both elementary and middle school-aged children
- Experience with assessing PK-8th grade math curricula
- Experience with teaching a diverse student body
- Leadership experience in professional development, mentoring, and coaching colleagues
- Experience in developing and leading after school math enrichment programs
- Experience with curriculum documentation software
- Experience with technology related to math instruction
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
The salary is dependent upon personal qualifications and experience.
St. Matthew’s Episcopal Day School Mission Statement
The School’s mission is to inspire, through an academically challenging course of study, the intellectual curiosity, confidence, moral courage, and character that prepare students to be leaders of positive change in the world.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com