Bishop O'Dowd High School
Spring 2020 Semester: Spanish Long-Term Substitute Position
Bishop O’Dowd High School is seeking excellent candidates for a long-term substitute Spanish teacher. This is a full-time position, teaching five sections for the spring 2020 semester and participating in the O’Dowd community. Requirements include a Bachelor’s Degree in Spanish and/or a California Teaching Credential. Previous experience as a full-time Spanish teacher in an independent, catholic, or public school is preferred. The successful candidate will be able to masterfully teach high school Spanish and actively engage students in the learning process. The ideal candidate will also have a demonstrated interest in Catholic education.
Founded in 1951, Bishop O’Dowd High School is a Catholic college preparatory high school serving 1,200 diverse students in grades 9-12 who come from all parts of the East Bay and beyond. Informed by Catholic values, the mission of O’Dowd is to educate and inspire its students to build a more just, joyful, and sustainable world. For more information, visit the school’s website at www.bishopodowd.org.
Finding God in all things calls us to
community in diversity
strength of character
kinship with creation
Required Knowledge and Skills for All Teaching Positions at Bishop O’Dowd High School
• A clear commitment to the mission and charism of the school.
• Strong teaching ability; enjoy working with adolescents.
• Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English.
• Excellent oral and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work well with students and colleagues; willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the O’Dowd community.
• Ability to plan classes independently, but also work collaboratively with department members.
• Passion for the academic subject matter being taught.
• Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
• Excellent attendance and punctuality.
• Excellent educational technology skills.
Qualifications for this position
• Bachelor’s degree in Spanish and/or a California Teaching Credential.
• Ability to successfully teach high school Spanish.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated leadership and facilitative skills.
Submit cover letter and resume online.
Submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We ask that you do not contact us by phone or direct your materials anywhere other than to the addresses provided. We appreciate your patience and understanding that we are unable to personally reply to all applicants and questions. Contact will be made only with those whose materials reflect a high degree of match to the knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience for which we are seeking in this position.
Pre-employment background screening is required for all positions.
Bishop O’Dowd High School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment policies and procedures. It follows the Diocese of Oakland’s policies prohibiting illegal harassment, retaliation or discrimination. However, as a Roman Catholic high school with a stated mission, goals and objectives that clearly reflect the teachings and educational philosophy of the Diocese of Oakland, Bishop O’Dowd High School reserves the right to require all current and prospective employees to commit to carry out their duties and responsibilities in a manner that clearly and unconditionally demonstrates support of and respect for the school’s mission and Catholic identity. Persons who in good conscience are unable to agree to this commitment should not seek or accept employment at Bishop O’Dowd High School.
As a faith-based institution, we reserve the right to use religion as a criterion in hiring decisions, as permitted by law, as it relates to performing essential job duties.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com