The College Preparatory School
The College Preparatory School, an independent high school in Oakland, California, seeks a full-time School Counselor for the spring semester (January 13 to June 3, 2020). The School Counselor promotes and supports the mental and physical health of the student community and advises parents and faculty on the emotional aspects of individual students and adolescent development. Candidates should be eager to embrace spirited intellectual challenges in a rich academic environment that highly values equity and inclusiveness.
- Counsels students, and families and manages crises having to do with
psychological and emotional issues; refers students to medium- or longer-term
counseling as needed
- Serves as a member of the Students of Concern Team
- Coordinates the delivery of the Sophomore Wellness and Decision Making program, a weekly class focusing on health education topics, including overseeing faculty facilitators and peer educators.
- Works consultatively with faculty members about students
- Advanced university degree in psychology and/or counseling, public health or similar field
- Minimum of three years of SEL related teaching/school-based counseling experience in a high school setting
- Experience teaching health and wellness at the high school level
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced
- An openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as subject area
Our school’s mission is to prepare students for productive, ethical lives in college and beyond by fostering a stimulating education within an atmosphere of consideration, trust, and mutual responsibility. Faculty and staff thrive at College Prep when they engage in the rich opportunities of its many co-curricular programs. College Prep actively designs programming and curricula that seek to strengthen the school’s ties to Oakland and to the greater Bay Area. Benefits include a prepared lunch every day. Professional development is actively encouraged and supported.
Founded in 1960, The College Preparatory School is an independent coeducational secondary school created for intellectual risk-takers who want to pursue a purposeful education with kindred peers. As an equal opportunity employer, College Prep welcomes candidates representing diversity of all kinds. We celebrate the inclusivity of our community regarding race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
College Prep typically does not sponsor applicants for work visas. For more information about our school, visit our website at www.college-prep.org
To apply, please submit your letter and resume at:
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org