Website San Francisco University High School
At San Francisco University High School, we believe that the deepest learning requires collaboration among people who embody a diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, experiences, and perspectives. In order to build and sustain a community that is comprised of a wide range of social and cultural identities, we must continually engage in furthering our self-knowledge, equity literacy, and ability to communicate effectively across differences. We challenge ourselves to do this work on both a personal and institutional level, recognizing that our community is part of a larger and more complex world.
San Francisco University High School seeks a half-time College Counselor, beginning August 1, 2021. This position reports to the Director of College Counseling. The College Counselor is an integral member of the College Counseling team and participates in delivering all aspects of our comprehensive program by working closely with students and families, helping to design and deliver student and parent education, and supporting all operational needs of the College Counseling Office.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Advising approximately 25 students and families per graduating class in all aspects of the college search, selection, and application process beginning junior year
- Writing comprehensive school letters of recommendation for the college counseling office
- Maintaining and contributing to regular email communications with 11th and 12th graders and families
- Participating in organizing and delivering periodic class meetings with 11th and 12th graders
- Meeting with college representatives visiting UHS each fall
- Developing and maintaining relationships with college admission offices and colleagues
- Participating in planning and implementing day and evening programs for students and/or their parents/guardians; topics may include admissions process, testing, athletics, financial aid, and more
Candidates should have a broad and current understanding of trends in higher education and financial aid, an equity orientation, an affinity for coaching adolescents and their parents across a wide range of backgrounds, strong writing skills, and a collaborative growth mindset. Additional pluses include: fluency in Spanish or Cantonese; experience with college counseling at a high school or community-based organization, or with college admissions.
Because San Francisco University High School is a college preparatory school, we seek faculty and staff members who are thoroughly educated in their disciplines, who are devoted to the love of learning, who will expand the diversity of backgrounds and perspectives present in our community, and who will contribute to the school’s invigorating intellectual climate by promoting our values of care, inquiry, integrity, agency, interconnection. Throughout the school, we seek to hire adults who are stimulating and supportive in their work with students and who share our belief in the moral and educational value of diversity.
Interested candidates should submit their materials using the online application at:
To apply for this job please visit www.sfuhs.org.