Website San Francisco Friends School
Title of position: Middle School Learning Specialist
Job Class: Full-time, exempt, academic-year
Reports to: Head of Middle School
Pay range: $3,362.50 to $6,925.00 semi-monthly ($67,250 to $138,500 if annualized) (placement on scale based on relevant teaching experience). This is a full-time, academic-year, exempt position.
Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, and term life insurance of $50,000 subsidized at 100% for employees; life insurance; long-term disability insurance; matching 403b; generous time off benefits including personal time, academic vacations, and sick leave; professional development.
The San Francisco Friends School (SFFS), located in the heart of the Mission District in San Francisco, educates K-8 students in the tradition of Quaker learning. By example and commitment, we hope to inspire all connected with our school to work together toward a peaceful and caring society. For further information about San Francisco Friends School’s beginnings, mission, and philosophy, please visit our website at www.sffriendsschool.org.
The Middle Learning Specialist is a pedagogical leader in the middle school, setting the tone for the Developmental Services program, advocating and resourcing for a range of diverse learners so they can thrive in school, elevating their unique gifts, and strengthening areas for intervention and support. We have distinguished our program by embracing a philosophy of early intervention while leading with innovations in pedagogical approaches that meet a wide range of learners, engaging the middle school teaching community in best practices. This position calls for an advocate to ensure philosophical and pedagogical alignment and help teachers understand students’ daily experiences.
Vital aspects of the role include observation, collaboration, assessment, communication, advising, and coordination of resources. The Middle School Learning Specialist collaborates with teachers in the classroom, advises and communicates with parents, and manages complex information over time. They will also cultivate community connections, coordinating with outside specialists and programs.
The Middle School Learning Specialist is a teacher, a specialist, a key mentor, a touchstone to many, and an essential advisor to middle school teams. They will be a vocal and steady advocate for current trends in research, learning differences, and inclusion of all students. They will commit to modeling cultural humility by mining resources, centering interventions that recognize the unique experiences of each child and family, and providing equitable access to resources. The Middle School Learning Specialist works closely with the Learning Services Program Director.
- Meets regularly with other middle school learning specialists, the school counselor, and the Middle School Head
- Facilitates recommended accommodations
- Provides educational screenings as needed for middle school students; makes referrals for outside evaluations and supports parents and teachers in understanding outside learning evaluations
- Case Manages middle school students with a learning profile; relays important information to teachers and collaborates to support students in the classroom
- Maintains confidential electronic student learning profiles and intervention lists for students, along with the Lower School learning specialist and Learning Services Coordinator
- Supports students with learning classroom skills and organization
- Supports scheduling and teacher-tutor communication with independent tutors
- Provides community learning resources to parents
- Administers admission screenings and standardized tests
- B.A., and a Teaching Credential (or equivalent)
- Learning Specialist experience and/or Education Specialist degree
- Elementary or Middle school teaching experience
- Experience working with language-based learning differences
- Demonstrated deep knowledge of learning differences, assessment techniques, and resources for supporting a wide range of learners both in and outside the classroom
- Excellent communication and organizational/case management skills
- Ability to communicate with middle school teachers about learning differences
Ability to work with multiple constituencies with professionalism, empathy, humility, calm, and strategic direction–parents, teachers, students, outside specialists, and the administrative leadership team
Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills, including patience, discretion, clarity, follow-through, a sense of humor, good judgment, and desire to find the light in each student
Personable, flexible, and adaptable; a learner and an expert teachers can count on, who is a motivated and collaborative team player
Understanding of the intersection between developmental support and diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
M.A, Learning Specialist degree (or equivalent professional credentials)
Specialized knowledge in other areas of academic instruction, innovation, and learning differences– Brain Frames, multi-sensory based teaching approaches, gifted education, mathematics, sensory integration, executive function/attention, neuro-divergence
Spanish Speaker and/or experience with Bilingualism
Experience with public speaking, parent education, and professional development presentations
Database management, Google Suite experience
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The San Francisco Friends School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, marital status or any other category protected by law. The school also makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities; candidates who need accommodations to apply for this position should request an accommodation as part of the submission of interest.
How to apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references, attention Tracie Mastronicola, at https://sffriendsschool.applytojob.com/apply/uobddV1RuT/Middle-School-Learning-Specialist.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com