Director of Advancement
3245 Sheffield Avenue
Oakland, CA 94602
Redwood Day is a vibrant, diverse K-8 school with over 400 students and 80+ faculty and staff all learning together on our four-acre campus in the heart of Oakland. Everything we do is designed to keep every child engaged and growing. Academically, that means a world-class curriculum, the best teachers, and a focus on the individual student. Socially and emotionally, we teach students to work through challenges, respect each other’s differences, and honor their diverse community. We find great strength in multiple perspectives and embrace every opportunity to weave diversity in thought and action into our social, emotional, and academic lives.
The Director of Advancement is responsible for creating and administering a comprehensive program of fundraising and constituent relations efforts to advance the mission of the school. The Director will oversee all fundraising strategy and efforts, including the annual fund, capital campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, alumni relations, communications, grant writing and foundation support.
The Director reports to the Head of School. They will work in close partnership with the Head of School and the Board of Trustees, and are an integral member of a highly collaborative administrative leadership team. They also supervise and develop advancement and communications staff with a strong orientation to executing the strategic goals set by the Board. Currently this position supervises two full-time and one part-time staff.
Essential Job Requirements
● Oversee and manage all aspects of Advancement, including annual giving, major gifts, planned giving, alumni relations, special events, communications and marketing, corporate and foundation grants, and capital campaign planning, as needed.
● Provide expertise and staffing for the Head of School, Board of Trustees, Advancement Committee, and school personnel to establish short and long-term advancement goals, strategies, and objectives to achieve growth and sustainable resource outcomes.
● Manage and build Redwood Day’s major gifts portfolio of prospects of current parents and guardians, grandparents, alumni and alumni families.
● Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts from current prospects, donors, volunteers and board members
● Work closely with the Head of School and Board of Trustees to strategically manage and solicit major gift donors.
● Create and implement alumni relations, reunions, and class giving activities and events to strategically engage and grow the alumni donor base.
● Work with the Advancement Committee of the Trustees to reach Advancement goals.
● Recruit, engage, and guide the Annual Fund Ambassador program, a peer-to-peer program to encourage Annual Fund participation.
● Supervise and collaborate with the Associate Director of Advancement/Director of Events in the execution of special events and management of the Parent Guardian Association (PGA).
● Supervise and collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications on all communications and marketing related strategic initiatives.
● Supervise and collaborate with the Data Manager to monitor Raiser’s Edge database functions, including accountability for integrity of its data.
● Facilitate and coordinate foundation/corporation cultivation, research and proposals for Capital Campaigns.
● Establish and maintain best practices as it relates to policies, systems, and procedures.
● Attend and support student and school activities on a regular basis.
● Represent the school to its various constituencies.
● Perform additional duties as requested by the Head of School.
● Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred
● Five plus years’ experience in the advancement/development field; preferably in an independent school environment or a comparable non-profit, mission driven organization
● Ability to strategically develop and execute fundraising projects independently
● An ability to cultivate, solicit, and secure major contributions
● Strong strategic planning skills
● Excellent relationship management skills
● Highly organized, capable of balancing and prioritizing concurrent projects and deadlines
● Excellent attention to detail
● Exceptional team player
● Experience participating in Board level committees such as the Advancement Committee and Trustees Committee
● Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality
● Maintain and implement Advancement best practices
● Outstanding written and oral communication skills
● Experience managing a team of diverse individuals and supervising functions such as events coordination, advancement data management and communications
● Experience soliciting prospects and donors one-on-one for major gifts
● Experience with capital campaigns preferred
● Experience with executing email, mobile, and/or social media campaigns for fundraising
● Experience or familiarity with estate planning and endowments a plus
● Experience with alumni relations, reunion giving and other alumni-based programs and activities a plus
● Experience with marketing and event management
● Willingness to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends
● Demonstrated proficiency with technology including Raisers Edge, MS Office products, wealth screening tools, Google docs, and other marketing tools
● Deep commitment to equity, inclusion and diversity
● Demonstrated passion for the mission of Redwood Day School
This is a full-time, exempt position.
Redwood Day offers competitive compensation and benefits. Standard hours are 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday.
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter by June 29, 2022 to John Loeser, Head of School, at email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The listed job responsibilities are meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities associated with the position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Offers contingent on passing background check and TB test.
Redwood Day is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, and physical or mental disability, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful. In addition, Redwood Day does not permit discrimination based on dressing consistently with one’s gender identity or gender expression, or preferred gender, name or pronoun usage.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org