Website Presidio Hill School
Job Title: 1st Grade Lead Teacher
Status: Full-Time, Exempt
Reports To: Lower School Director
Start Date: July 2022 (official onboarding occurs in mid-August)
Presidio Hill School is an independent, progressive school located in the Presidio Heights neighborhood of San Francisco and serves a diverse population of approximately 230 students enrolled in transitional 1st Grade to 8th grade, with a faculty and staff of approximately 45 people. The lower school, grades TK-5, has approximately 125 students and 20 faculty members. Established in 1918 by artist-educator-activists Helen Salz and Flora Arnstein, Presidio Hill School is the oldest continuously operating progressive school in California, with a mission and deep history connected to social justice. Our 1st Grade Lead Teacher will have demonstrated passion and experience teaching and working with students and a school community that explicitly strives to be inclusive.
Presidio Hill offers its students a challenging, project-based curriculum that attends to their intellectual and social-emotional needs and prepares them to be agents of positive social change. Guided by a skilled and caring faculty, students learn to be confident and curious, to be creative problem solvers and independent, critical thinkers. Learning at PHS is collaborative and active. We place great value on the arts as both an academic discipline and an essential element of a meaningful life. Situated on the edge of the Presidio, our school takes full and frequent advantage of the park’s 1500 acres; whether they are studying science, art, social studies, or literature, the Presidio is a rich and vital “classroom” to our students.
Our vibrant, diverse, and supportive community allows students to explore their unique voices, traits, and talents; our emphasis on the importance of community and justice encourages students to develop self-awareness, personal character, resilience, and an understanding of their role as stewards of the planet and citizens of the world.
Presidio Hill School seeks a faculty and staff that reflects the broad range of diversity in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our school is strongly committed to promoting cultural competency in all interactions and programs. Invested in the growth, happiness, and preparation of our teachers, we provide generous support for their professional development.
Presidio Hill School seeks a full-time 1st Grade Lead Teacher beginning July 2022 (official onboarding occurs in mid-August). Qualified candidates will demonstrate a deep understanding of and interest in the developmental nuances of lower elementary school-aged children, progressive education, and anti-bias teaching practices. Candidates will ideally have prior experience lead teaching in TK-2nd grade. The 1st Grade Lead Teacher will be expected to build a safe and engaging classroom community and to scaffold and differentiate lessons for students as needed, creating a program that meets the needs of a wide variety of learners. Given that PHS utilizes aspects of Responsive Classroom, TERC Investigations, Lucy Calkins Writing Workshop, and Fundations, candidates with experience in these areas are preferred.
In addition to providing excellent teaching and maintaining effective communication with parents and students, teachers are expected to contribute to the greater PHS community through work on various committees and school events. PHS teachers work closely with each other and collaborate and engage in a positive manner; excellent interpersonal skills are a necessity.
• Establish a safe and inclusive environment where students feel comfortable taking risks through self-discovery, collaboration, and community engagement
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equity
• Design and deliver curriculum and instruction in language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science that is data driven, strategy based, differentiated, multi-sensory, and hands-on, actively engaging the entire class and guided by student interest, current events, and grade level benchmarks
• Collaborate with lead teachers in other lower school grades as well as specialist teachers (Arts, Music, Physical Education, Spanish) to design integrated curriculum with service and cultural competency at the center
• Observe, assess, and communicate student development through narrative reports (Fall and Spring) and facilitate effective conferences with parents/guardians (Fall and Winter)
• Set up the classroom, order and manage materials, maintain classroom budget
• Plan field trips, events, and class celebrations
• Supervise recess and lunch duties
• Supervise and support an assistant teacher or teaching apprentice
Skills, Qualifications, and Experiences
• Experience working in a multicultural environment
• Knowledge of progressive education
• Demonstrated commitment to the mission and core values of Presidio Hill School
• 3-5 years teaching experience in TK-2nd grades or comparable
• Instructional experience with varied pedagogical approaches
• Good humor, energy, a passion for teaching, and a love of learning
• Enthusiasm and excitement for outdoor education
• Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Experience with using technology to support teaching and learning including Google docs and Google calendar, iPads and iOS.
• A Bachelor’s degree
• A graduate degree or degree-in-progress related to education is preferred
• Ability to support outdoor education, including extended class trips to and from the Presidio
• Ability to adhere to guidelines and recommendations from the CDC, CDPH, and SFDPH
• Ability to adhere to PHS Community Health Agreement
• Up-to-date COVID vaccination
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, résumé, contact information for two to three references, and/or letters of reference via email (with 1st Grade Lead Teacher in the subject line) to Tony Cifra (Lower School Director): firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about PHS, please visit our website.