Terra Marin School is an independent, nonprofit coeducational school that offers a progressive approach to learning. The curriculum is stimulating, contemporary, and innovative, integrating Language Arts, arts, STEM, Earth Education, and specialist classes through a blend of guided discovery and project-based learning.
Teachers are the heart of our community. Teachers will mirror and model the core values of our school by fostering their own curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, open dialogue and good humor. Our teachers will seek to recognize and honor the gifts each student brings to the table, as they strive to continually challenge themselves to new levels of mastery, and guide our students in their journey to be engaged learners, self- advocates and stewards of our natural environment.
Terra Marin is seeking a Middle School STEM teacher who can provide an engaging education plan (through making, building and programming) that fosters creativity, self- motivation, social/emotional development and academic excellence. An ideal candidate will have experience as a classroom teacher using the discussion-based learning, be familiar with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Design Thinking, Common Core Mathematics Standards and have a passion for fostering inquiry and facilitating project-based learning for Middle School students.
• Lead a mixed-age and ability class along with your teaching team members
• Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class
• Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists and other educators to devise, participate in and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
• Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
• Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant
• Lead an advisory group with curated activities throughout the school year
• Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess effectiveness and promote organizational learning alongside colleagues
• Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents and students on a regular basis
• Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community through frequent and rich communication
• Prior experience with creating child-centered learning activities, including classroom STEM teaching experience with grades 5-8 students
• Maker Lab experience a plus
• Design Thinking experience a plus
•Exposure to Harkness Method a plus
• Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences • Belief in fostering children’s social-emotional capabilities
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Wendy Xa, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com