Hillbrook School Middle School English Teacher
Hillbrook School is seeking an experienced and accomplished middle school English teacher to teach English classes and co-teach an innovative Integrated Studies block along with history, science, and math teachers. The teacher also serves as an advisor, and participates in grade-level activities such as service learning and outdoor education trips. The full-time position is for the 2018-2019 school year.
Hillbrook School is a co-ed, independent, junior kindergarten–8th grade school located on 14 acres of oak woodland in Los Gatos, CA. Founded in 1935, Hillbrook School remains deeply connected to its historical roots as a school where children are known, learning is authentic and active, and success is measured one child at a time. During the past 80 years, we have grown and evolved from a small boarding school serving wards of the state to one of the leading independent schools in the Bay Area, and yet our vision remains the same – to inspire children to achieve their dreams and reach beyond themselves to make a difference in the world. Our talented faculty delivers a program that provides more than 350 students with a unique blend of challenging and engaging academics, visual and performing arts, passion-driven projects, and opportunities to serve and partner with others in our community.
Hillbrook School is a recognized leader in educational innovation, earning designation since 2010 as an Apple Distinguished School. Our 1:1 iPad program in the middle school, iLab Makerspace classroom, Center for Teaching Excellence, and Scott Center for Social Entrepreneurship all stem from a commitment to being on the leading edge of best practices in education. Our faculty members present at conferences across the nation and globe each year, on topics that range from innovative uses of technology, to research studies we have conducted on the impact of classroom design on teaching and learning. Hillbrook is intentional about, and deeply committed to, cultural competency and professional growth. We are a community of highly-engaged, lifelong learners.
It is an exciting moment to enter our school. The middle school is in the second year of a three-year expansion process, with an ultimate target of 200 students in grades 5-8. With that expansion, we are bringing on teachers to broaden our course offerings and continue our work designing projects and courses that bridge disciplines. We are implementing a new schedule in the 2018-19 school year that balances the teaching of core skills in English, math, and world language, with interdisciplinary approaches to history and science in our newly created Integrated Studies blocks. We are also in the process of developing a large new Maker Space, which will connect our visual art studios and science labs, and bring our philosophical emphasis on project-based learning, question-asking, making and engineering into the physical heart of campus.
As noted in our Statement of Inclusivity, Hillbrook is an intentionally diverse community that strives to reflect the extraordinary diversity of Silicon Valley. We believe that educational excellence depends on the creation of a diverse and inclusive community where all people feel a full sense of membership. As a community, we step into the sometimes complex and challenging conversations about inclusivity because we believe that the growth of a community and learner is continual, and striking a balance between individual and community can be difficult work.
Our salaries are competitive. Benefits include full medical, dental, and vision coverage; ample retirement planning with TIAA-CREF; a generous holiday schedule; access to and support with the latest state-of-the-art education technology; and a strong commitment to engaging and personalized professional development. Hillbrook School is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
- Teach three middle school English courses
- Co-teach Integrated Studies blocks in history, math, and science in collaboration with other middle school teachers, including Resident Teachers, as part of a newly designed, integrated block schedule.
- Collaboratively plan, observe classes, and design cross-curricular projects with members of a dynamic middle school team
- As an advisor, lead daily small group student meetings to build community and support students’ social emotional development, following Responsive Classroom and Development Designs curriculum
- As an advisor, follow student progress, serve as first line of communication between parents and the school, advocate for students in all matters pertaining to the student, facilitate student/parent/advisor learning progress conferences, and chaperone grade-level trips.
- Actively participate in a faculty culture that is committed to being at the leading edge of JK-8 education.
- A love of middle school children
- Master’s degree and three years teaching experience preferred
- English background with expertise in writing and reading skills preferred
- History/Humanities background will be beneficial for success in this role
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning in a dynamic, 21st century school community
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment including co-teaching
- A growth mindset, sense of humor, warm personality, strong initiative, and excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in technology
- An interest in living our core values: be kind, be curious, take risks, and be your best
Visit our school’s website to learn more at www.hillbrook.org. Interested candidates please send a cover letter and resume (as .pdf files) to our Director of Human Resources, Rozanne Schiro (firstname.lastname@example.org).
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com