The Nueva School
Middle School Science Teacher (8thGrade) – 2020-2021
We seek an experienced science teacher with expertise in teaching 8th grade science. Nueva’s 8th grade science curriculum is biology-focused with an emphasis on interdisciplinary/transdisciplinary learning. Topics include ecology, evolution, living systems, body systems, genetics, cellular energy, biochemistry, and public health. The course explores big questions in biology, with the first semester going from biochemistry to evolution to ecology using food as a theme, and the second semester system going from genes to cells to body systems with a public health theme. Throughout, there is an emphasis on asking questions, experimental design, data analysis, and both technical and creative science communication.The course is project-based.
The ideal candidate will also have experience in the applications of the science in research, industry, and/or engineering. In addition, the candidate will have interest and experience in a variety of modes of teaching and be highly skilled at differentiated instruction, and also be enthusiastic about supervising student research projects. The candidate will have taught several years and will have knowledge of more than one academic discipline, as well as experience in and passion for building integrated, interdisciplinary programs of study. We seek dedicated educators who have an interest in collaborating with our current faculty as partners in the ongoing design and implementation of Nueva’s curriculum and programs.
General Responsibilities for Teachers
- Develop and teach your courses expertly with the highest standards for each student
- Convey enthusiasm for intellectual inquiry and model lifelong learning
- Design instruction that emphasizes critical thinking and real-world problem solving
- Collaborate with colleagues in the development and execution of curriculum
- Create hands-on, inquiry- and project-based learning experiences
- Collaborate effectively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators
- Model flexibility in implementing best learning practices
- Support the well-being of all students
- Demonstrate interest and ability to serve as an advisor to students, lead student activities, serve as a club advisor, and contribute beyond the classroom to support school programs and activities
- Participate actively in other aspects of the student experience and school functioning: chaperoning trips and events, serving on committees, and developing new programs at the school
- Lead by example in your commitment to Nueva’s mission: “Our school community inspires passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the student’s imaginative mind.”
- Demonstrated mastery in area of study and ability to teach within and across academic disciplines
- Bachelor’s and advanced university degree
- Minimum of three years’ teaching experience
- Successful teaching experience in secondary school and/or university
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A desire to integrate curriculum with other subjects and to teach collaboratively
- Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment where new ideas, mistakes, and iteration are embraced.
- A profound openness to feedback and improvement, modeling lifelong learning of practice as well as subject area.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references at http://nuevaschool.applytojob.com/apply. To address specific questions, please emailLiza Raynal at email@example.com
For more information about The Nueva School, please visit our website: www.nuevaschool.org
About The Nueva School
The Nueva School, an internationally-recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted and talented students since 1967. Today, Nueva serves nearly 900 students PK-12. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six different counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org