East Bay School for Boys
We currently have a job opening for a Middle School Math Department Chair and Math Teaching Position
East Bay School for Boys–an independent middle school for boys in Berkeley, CA–is looking for a full-time faculty member to teach one grade of math and lead the math and STEAM department for the 2020-2021 school year.
The ideal candidate:
- has experience teaching middle school or high school mathematics;
- has experience in school leadership, specifically departmental management
- can inspire in EBSB students a lifelong passion for problem solving, procedural math and numerical analysis;
- likes middle schoolers, boys in particular and has a sense of humor
- is passionate and knowledgeable about integrating mathematics and other subjects;
- is prepared to design innovative units in mathematics and is invested in the collaborative process;
- is dedicated to issues of equity, diversity and inclusion and has cultural humility and can show their work towards this life-long learning goal;
- has the ability to weave current social issues and the themes of equity and social justice relevant to our students’ lives into the curriculum;
- can perform mathematical inventories and implement appropriate differentiated curriculum;
- is familiar with common core mathematics for middle school, and is able to support students in preparation for competitive high school mathematics
- facilitates active, project-based learning and is willing to utilize design thinking and building as it relates to our Work program;
- has a strong and skillful approach to classroom management working with students from a variety of educational backgrounds and different learning styles;
- is open to being an adventurer and advisor (planning/attending field trips, teaching social/ emotional curriculum and engaging with our families and students to develop learning plans for each advisee); and
- is a team player, working collaboratively with our faculty and staff to model and embody our school’s mission and vision;
- will also take on the role of advisor for a small group of students, and will do other duties as part of being a part of the faculty at EBSB.
EBSB faculty are passionate leaders and learners dedicated to creating a community with a shared goal of building capacity in all of our boys; of helping to develop each boy’s cultural capital; of creating a safe, creative and exciting classroom and school environment; and of providing a stellar academic, physical and social/emotional experience for young men.
EBSB faculty play a significant part in creating the culture of the school. Their voices are important in finding and solving problems, in the design and implementation of the curriculum, and in creating innovative and sustainable programs. East Bay School for Boys recruits faculty from a variety of sources and seeks individuals who are well-suited to work with boys, who would enjoy a collaborative working environment, and who reflect the diversity within the school and of the East Bay. EBSB faculty explore together in collaboration to nurture an environment that fosters trust, collective purpose, communication, healthy conflict, and shared accountability.
When hiring faculty, East Bay School for Boys seeks individuals who are experienced in working with middle school students; who can make learning irresistible through challenge, a well-structured classroom, differentiation and a variety of teaching/learning modalities; who love teaching and working with boys; who are passionate about their subject area(s) and learning new things; who are eager to work in an interdisciplinary and collaborative environment; who are creative and have good organizational, project-management, and communication skills; who are willing to assume a variety of roles within the school including academic and social/emotional advising and coaching; who are creative, flexible and resilient educators; who make great role models for adolescent boys; and who have a sense of humor.
East Bay School for Boys, an independent middle school (grades 6-8), is an academically challenging and active environment: built for boys and with boys. We provide opportunities for boys to design, build, nurture, and grow their world, empowering boys to affect, connect, reflect, and most importantly, love to learn. We also focus on the social and emotional experience by creating a space where students have positive male role models and are taught how to, and encouraged to be, the great men of tomorrow: engaged, thoughtful, and courageous.
Interested candidates should submit a resumé and cover letter to email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org