Escuela Bilingue Internacional
Job Class: Full-time: English sections and Humanities (in-person)
The Head of School of EBI is seeking faculty and staff members who, in addition to their specific responsibilities, demonstrate the following:
- Enjoy working in an international, diverse school environment;
- Share in our values of bilingualism, educational excellence, diversity, equity, inclusion, global citizenship, and the cultivation of character;
- Support the mission of EBI;
- Bring a positive attitude and a sense of professionalism to the School community.
The Middle-School English and Humanities Teacher position reports directly to the Principal (2-8). This is a full time, on-campus teaching position. This teacher will need to be prepared to teach both in-person with a hybrid learning modality. Depending on school needs and county guidance, the teacher will also teach remotely. The teacher will guide students through the different learning processes involved with various subjects and/or skills, thus contributing to the students’ development as mature, capable and responsible world citizens. The teacher must be able to develop and maintain a classroom environment that ensures effective learning and incorporates pedagogical innovations and research. The faculty member must employ the appropriate teaching methodology in order to meet established program objectives and be capable of understanding and meeting the needs of students.
Planning & Preparation for Learning: English and Humanities classes
- Know the subject matter well.
- Incorporate International Baccalaureate pedagogy.
- Have a good grasp of how students learn.
- Backwards plan with big ideas, essential questions, knowledge, and skill goals.
- Plan on-the-spot and unit assessments to measure student learning.
- Design lessons that target multiple learning needs, styles, and interests.
Classroom Management: English and Humanities classes and supervisory duties
- Foster positive interactions and teach useful social skills.
- Have a repertoire of discipline “moves” that can diffuse most behavior problems before learning is impacted.
- Capture and maintain most students’ attention.
- Maximize academic learning time through coherence, lesson momentum, and smooth transitions.
Delivery of Instruction
- Activate students’ prior knowledge and hook their interest in each unit and lesson.
- Use clear explanations, appropriate language, and examples to present material.
- Orchestrate effective strategies, materials, and classroom groupings to foster student learning.
- Have students think about, discuss, and use the ideas and skills being taught.
- Differentiate instruction to accommodate most students’ learning needs.
Monitoring, Assessment, and Follow-Up
- Provide clear criteria for proficiency, including rubrics and exemplars of work.
- Frequently check for understanding and give students helpful information if they seem confused.
- Have students set goals, self- assess, and know where they stand academically.
- Take responsibility for students who are not succeeding and get them extra help.
- Reflect on the effectiveness of teaching/learning and how to improve it.
- Complete paperwork, duties, and assignments accurately and punctually.
- Demonstrate professional demeanor and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Complete International Baccalaureate training
- Be ethical and above-board, use good judgment, and maintain confidentiality with student records.
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan, share teaching ideas, and look at student work.
- Seeks out effective teaching ideas from colleagues, workshops, and other sources.
- Willing to participate beyond the academic program.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal and/or Head of School.
- Appreciation for and desire to work with middle school students
- A passionate commitment to supporting student success
- Knowledge and understanding of personalized learning and innovative educational practices
- Understanding and commitment to DEI/social justice, including anti-bias and safe identity educational practices
- Willingness to collaborate with diverse constituencies, work in a diverse team, and be a leader
- Flexibility, given the uncertain times we are living through
- Commitment to 21st-century education, including knowledge of the key role of SEL practices in whole child education and international mindedness
- BA in Language Arts, Literature, or in a related field required. A Master’s in education or Language Arts is strongly preferred.
- Two or more years of experience teaching required. Additional experience teaching in middle school is preferred.
- Bilingual English-Spanish is preferred.
- Experience and training in PYP, MYP and/or IB Diploma is preferred.
To be considered for the position, please complete an application, and send a letter of interest, a resume, and contact information for at least three professional references, including supervisors, to Raquel Vizcaíno, Principal (2-8) at email@example.com. Please generate all documents as one MS Word doc or a converted PDF file. Incomplete files, or files or candidates that do not meet the desired qualifications, will not be considered.
EBI is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org