Hillbrook School is seeking an experienced and accomplished middle school history teacher to teach an innovative Integrated Studies history course in collaboration with other grade-level teachers in math, English, and science. The teacher also serves as an advisor and participates in grade-level activities such as outdoor education trips. The full-time position is for the 2019-2020 school year.
It is an exciting moment to enter our school. The middle school is in the final year of a three-year expansion process, with an ultimate target of 200 students in grades 5-8. With that expansion, we are bringing on teachers to broaden our course offerings and continue our work designing projects and courses that bridge disciplines. We implemented a new schedule during the 2018-19 school year that balances the teaching of core skills in English, math, and world language, with interdisciplinary approaches to history and science in our newly created Integrated Studies blocks. The new schedule also includes Reach Beyond Block, a weekly period devoted to co-taught, multi-age, multi-disciplinary experiences that challenge students to reach beyond themselves to make a difference in the world. We are also in the process of constructing a large new MakerSpace, the Hub, which will connect our visual art studios and science labs, and bring our philosophical emphasis on project-based learning, question-asking, making and engineering into the physical heart of campus. The Hub will open during the 2019-20 school year.
Hillbrook School is a recognized leader in educational innovation, earning designation since 2010 as an Apple Distinguished School. Our 1:1 iPad program in the middle school, iLab Makerspace classroom, Center for Teaching Excellence, and Scott Center for Social Entrepreneurship all stem from a commitment to being on the leading edge of best practices in education. Our faculty members present at conferences across the nation and globe each year, on topics that range from innovative uses of technology to research studies we have conducted on the impact of classroom design on teaching and learning. Hillbrook is intentional about, and deeply committed to, cultural competency and professional growth. We are a community of highly-engaged, lifelong learners.
As noted in our recently rewritten and adopted Statement of Inclusivity, Hillbrook is an intentionally diverse community that strives to reflect the extraordinary diversity of Silicon Valley. We believe that educational excellence and equity depend on the creation of a diverse and inclusive community where all people feel a full sense of membership. As a community, we lean into the sometimes complex and challenging conversations about inclusivity because we believe that the growth of a community and learner is continual, and striking a balance between individual and community can be difficult work.
- Lead one grade-level of Integrated Studies history and support a second grade-level in collaboration with other middle school teachers as part of a recently designed integrated block schedule.
- Collaboratively plan, observe classes, and design cross-curricular projects with members of a dynamic middle school team, with a focus on differentiated instruction.
- Provide hands-on, inquiry-based teaching; manage collaborative learning groups; integrate technology into the curriculum.
- As an advisor, lead daily small group student meetings to build community and support students’ social-emotional development, following the Development Designs curriculum
- As an advisor, follow student progress, serve as the first line of communication between parents and the school, advocate for students in all matters pertaining to the student, facilitate student/parent/advisor learning progress conferences, and chaperone grade-level trips.
- Actively participate in a faculty culture that is committed to being at the leading edge of JK-8 education.
- Reports to the Middle School Head
- A love of middle school children
- Master’s degree and three years of teaching experience preferred
- History background, with preference for U.S. history
- English/Humanities background, with expertise in writing and reading skills, will be beneficial for success in this role
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and learning in a dynamic, 21st-century school community
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment including co-teaching
- A growth mindset, sense of humor, warm personality, strong initiative, and excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in technology
Salaries are competitive. Benefits include full medical, dental, and vision coverage; ample retirement planning with TIAA-CREF; a generous holiday schedule; access to and support with the latest state-of-the-art education technology; and a strong commitment to engaging and personalized professional development.
Hillbrook School is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
This is an exclusive search with CalWest Educators. To be considered for this position, please upload your cover letter and resume to the CalWest website here: https://calwestlogin.com/apply (Current CalWest candidates need not apply here. Please email documents to: mysearch@CalWestEducators.com)
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com