Northern Light School
Middle School History Teacher – Northern Light School – Oakland, California
Northern Light School (NLS) serves students in Pre-K to 8th grade. Our mission is to provide an empowering education for children from all cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Our focus is on academic excellence as well as non-violence, acceptance of differences, respect for the environment, and the moral advancement of humanity — so that the children develop an understanding that they have a responsibility to make a difference in the lives of others.
At Northern Light, we understand that rigorous academics alone are insufficient to prepare our students for success in a rapidly changing world. Our small class sizes (capped at 20) ensure that students have the opportunity to practice problem solving, collaboration, and inquiry-based learning, while expressing their knowledge in creative and critical ways. At the same time, Northern Light is also deeply committed to social justice, and the importance of developing engaged citizens who, in the words of Paolo Freire, “participate in the transformation of their worlds.” For this reason, social justice lies at the core of Northern Light’s identity.
Northern Light is currently searching for a caring, engaged, experienced Middle School Humanities teacher to join our passionate community of educators and learners and help us advance our mission and vision. The position is full time, and involves teaching classes for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
The school offers a salary commensurate with experience and a strong benefits package. Interested candidates are encouraged to send an email expressing interest to Ms. Jill Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org. The email should include:
- Cover letter describing your interest in the position
- A statement of educational philosophy
General Duties and Responsibilities, listed but not limited to:
Middle School Humanities:
- Plan, prepare, and deliver lessons to students in grades 6, 7, and 8, with an emphasis on World Civilizations, American Studies, Ancient History, and Cultural Studies.
- Facilitate a dynamic and inspiring classroom, using a wide variety of progressive, student-centered methods.
- Demonstrate mastery of related subject matter, teaching skills, and resource materials for course(s) taught.
- Demonstrate interest and expertise in developing curricular centered around ethics, current events, and more.
- Demonstrate a capacity to develop critical reading and writing skills in a multicultural context.
- Maintain frequent communication with parents, students, and colleagues.
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental, and interpersonal growth.
- Use available technology and instructional media to enhance students’ learning experiences.
The ideal candidate:
- Finds resonance with Northern Light School’s mission and philosophy
- Possesses a Master’s degree and/or Teaching Credential and has a background in the Humanities, History, and Writing
- Has relevant experience teaching the Humanities to diverse learners in K-8 settings or teaching any level of high school Humanities/Literature/Writing, from foundational courses to advanced electives
- Has experience in developing curriculum and considering project-based and experiential learning as part of the curriculum development process
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com