The Berkeley School
How to Apply
Please submit a resume along with a letter of interest and two professional references to MaryBeth Ventura, Middle School Division Head, at email@example.com.
Overview of Position
The Berkeley School, a progressive, preK-8 independent school in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, seeks a full-time middle school humanities teacher to join our multicultural, learning-centered community. The successful candidate will join a cohesive, collaborative faculty team in our middle school (MS), and with their support, will be responsible for designing, reviewing, and implementing humanities curriculum, facilitating an advisory group of 10-12 students, and participating in student life, including clubs, community building, travel, outdoor education, and service learning. We particularly welcome candidates who have experience and/or interest in integrated, multidisciplinary teaching and learning, have areas of expertise and interest beyond humanities, and embrace opportunities to learn and grow as educators and leaders.
We are committed to principles of equity and inclusion that promote responsive teaching practices and create optimal educational environments for each of our students, and we value the skills, knowledge, and experiences a diverse workforce brings to our school. As we seek to educate the whole child, affirming the cultural histories and identities of all our students, we seek faculty and staff who are knowledgeable and experienced in helping each student grow. If you see this approach as critical to teaching and learning, we urge you to apply.
- B.A./B.S. & two or more years of experience teaching humanities or related subjects at the 4th-12th grade level
- A developmental understanding of teaching English/language arts and/or history/social studies at the MS level
- The ability to create and sustain an inclusive, responsive classroom environment and to differentiate instruction
- Experience teaching using a variety of instructional strategies, including cooperative and student-driven learning
- A desire to work collaboratively and openness to co-teaching
- Skill in partnering with a diverse set of families
- A genuine appreciation for 11-14 year-old people — their gifts AND their challenges
- Flexibility and an ability to connect positively with others
- Three or more years teaching experience in humanities at the 5th-10th grade level
- Developmental understanding of social-emotional learning, possibly via an advisory program
- Experience in a school setting utilizing positive discipline strategies
- Experience teaching in a progressive and collaborative environment
- Experience planning integrated or interdisciplinary units
- Facility with technology and openness to using new educational technology in the classroom
- Strong organizational & communication skills
Overview of the School:
Founded in 1964 as Berkeley Montessori School, The Berkeley School is an intentionally small school of 287 students from early childhood through middle school. We focus on developing academic and life skills in joyful, rigorous learning environments deeply rooted in civic engagement.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identification. Applicants need to be fully authorized to work in the United States.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org